hi from scotland!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velofrog

Reaction score
just wanted to say hello, new to the forums, and here as just purchased an pair of aerius i's, looking forward to a month of trying to set them up correctly! anyone with any suggestion i'd love to hear them! cheers, mike

Hi, welcome.

Just in case you already didn't - ML has pretty good owners manuals, study it and lots of stuff of placement of speakers written in this forum.

Hi Mike,

Congradulations on your Aerius i's. I had a pair as well and they are an excellent speaker. Martin Logans need a bit of space between the stator panel and the wall behind them to work their magic.

5 feet off the back wall would be great if you can afford the space.I had the Aeriusi's as well as my present Odyssey's in the same spot with this measurement.

As for toe in, use the flashlight method that ML suggest.Just do a forum search. Welcome to the club.
Cheers, Greg

flashlight method

yeah, the guy i bought the aerius i's from was telling me about this whilst loading them in the car, and i thought i was being pretty anorakish measuring everything regarding positioning, and i already get looks from SHMBO, god knows what would happen if i was caught in the dark with a torch strapped to my head! lol. still waiting for my old NAD 208 THX to come back from being serviced/upgraded, and this will be fed by a tweaked rotel rcd 991 and a very tweaked symphonies plus valve pre. can't wait to get them singing properly, early signs are promising, bye bye box speakers, hello electrostatics! cheers

Hi Mike and welcome!

Don't worry about the ribbing you'll take from the significant other. I've been caught on several occasions with one strapped to my head and the looks and comments only last for a few seconds!!

But it is well worth the abuse to at least try!

Gordon

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=121740#

hi gordon, and thanks for the support, i will persevere with my tweaking, it's worth suffering the embarrassment! although fortunately for me my partner is pretty understanding and accommodating, and to be fair she would need to be considering how inconspicuous the aerius are not!

sitting listening whilst on the laptop just now, and am experiencing my first ever instrument placing, incredible soundstage and imaging, and they're not even set up or being run with my proper gear yet! all being well next week should see the realisation of their full potential (or at least what my meagre system can deliver!)

it's been a nice warm welcome from other members on what is for me my first forum, thanks all for making the effort!

cheers, mike

Welcome from an exiled Scot

Welcome! Good to see another Jock (not of the quarterback variety) on here.

I became hooked on ML's by listening to my mate's Aerius i / McIntosh set-up over in Normandy
He has had them since new, and never had a problem with them. They still sound ace and fill a cavernous converted barn with ease.

Enjoy!

exile

fit like?! lol. listening to aerius in a converted barn in normandy huh, sounds hellish, much rather be up here in the windy north of scotland any day!:sad: good to hear from you, and i'm sure my aerius will give me many years of pleasure, they are the first speakers i've ever had dust covers for, my three year old loves it when we ''put them to bed''! lots of firsts in this new system, first dedicated power amp, first valve pre-amp and first electrostatics, it's a completely new sound, and leagues ahead of anything i've owned before, and add into the mix how stunning they look in the living room, could life get any sweeter just now?! oh yeah, that converted barn in normandy . . . .

A little tip about the flashlight trick.

You can also use a laser. Stanley, Bosch and others make Laser measuring devices that allow you to take measurements down to 1/16 of an inch and since they are laser-based, you can also use them for the flashlight trick.

You can buy them online starting at 30 dollars U.S. and they go up and over $100.00 depending on how far you need to measure. The $30.00 one works fine for a home hifi system. Oh yeah, and you can measure your speakers to side-wall, rear wall, each other, sweet spot, in seconds all by your lonesome, which is something I hear a lot of in Scotland.:D

Would have been better to say,

"Hi from Scotland Yard"

panel wash

washed down my panels over the kitchen sink using a kids poster paint brush, and just dipping into the water now and again, thought it better to use as little water as possible! gently dried off with SWMBO's hair-dryer (i have no need for such a device!) and left them til the next day for re-assembly. the plastic chocolate block screwed to the front panel is a really cheap touch though, you would have thought a nice cast unit would have been more appropriate to join the wires, but it's the only niggle i have and as they are hidden from view it's not really an issue! this also gave me the opportunity to wipe down the bass units and they now look like new!

after much tweaking of position (without a light strapped to my head i hasten to add!) i am now happy, and have removed the small mushroom feet. they now have the spikes fitted and are sitting on two granite chopping boards which work perfectly as poor man's plinths! happy days!

Back