Hi all, newbie ML owner!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_F

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I've been messing around with hifi for years and have the opportunity to pick up some ML Clarity's so thought I'd see what they are like. I'm running Audion Silver Night 300B monoblocks (push pull) which don't seem to have a problem driving them. I know recommendations are for more power using solid state.

First impressions are that the midrange and treble is excellent, good kick from the speaker but lower bass is a bit more wooly than from the Audio Physic Spark (verion 1) that I just sold, those were front ported so could be the rear port on the ML's? Similar frequency response from both speaker models. Speakers are away from the rear walls, I'm aware of placement effects.

Other system bits are VPI super scoutmaster and full Perpetual Tech digital front end.

I'd like to tighten up the bass. The ML's aren't spiked they have flat feet which may need changing, also the speaker is light and not particularly damped, I'm wondering if this can be improved?

Also the DC supply going to the speakers, is this important or do you all do upgrades on this?

Thanks! Tim

Hello,
Tim, congratulations on your acquisition of a pair of Clarity and welcome to MLC. Though I have never auditioned the Clarity, I am sure they sound great and it is awesome that you purchased Electrostatic panel Martin Logan's.

While the non electrostatic Martin Logan are quite nice, the electrostats are something special. Especially, as you observed, in the midrange and treble.
If the speakers are brand new, the 8" aluminum woofer will sound better as it breaks in.

Otherwise, with the Clarity being rated down to 46Hz, augmentation with a subwoofer might be in order depending on your listening habits and room size.
Cheers,
ML

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarity mods

Tim,

Welcome to the club!

Try a search for Clarity modifications. One of the members here has done extensive mods to the cabinet to address just the bass issues that you mention. Being a Clarity owner myself, it sounded intruiging, but I haven't tried it yet. From the posts, it sounds like he was able to make some noticable improvements with very little financial investment.

Steve

which 300B's are you using? There is a big diff in sound between the various brands...

WE's have the tightest bass! But are the most expensive.

which 300B's are you using? There is a big diff in sound between the various brands...

WE's have the tightest bass! But are the most expensive.

I'm using JJ's at the moment. These I believe are supposed to be the most neutral top to bottom.

I'm going to try adding Bitumen padding to the cabinet walls. Also wondering if anyone has experimented with different wadding such as wool?

Not actually sure what plasti -putty is in the UK? anyone got a link to an actual product? the putty I know seems to be permanent.

Finally does anyone upgrade crossovers and components on these?

Thanks all! Tim

Back