HELP- SL3 vs. Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polskajay

Reaction score
Hey there all-
I currently have SL3, Parasound amp and pre-amp. My SL3 are mint, however, as you all know, this model has been around a while. I have them mated to a powered 15 in Dahlquist sub for the lowest octave. I only stress the sub part because I realize that the Vantage uses a powered sub portion.
My question is this, has the technology significantly changed in the last 10 years that I'd notice a big difference in the SL3 with a powered sub and a pair of Vantage? I assume the bass section would be pretty good on both but I guess I'm most interested in any true improvements in mids/highs with models later than SL3. For example, I read that the effective surface area of the new planar driver is larger than old models. Will I hear this? Just curious and don't want to drop $2000 if the consensus is that it wouldn't be (much of) an improvement. Jay

I'll ask you the same question I asked on another similar type thread.

What don't you like about your current setup and what are your expectations if you go with the Vantages?

GG

Hola and welcome. Here at the forum, you will find members who will say that the SL-3s are great ( I am one of those) and others will say, go and make the change (me too). My advise to you is: trust your ears, and choose the one that you liked most. On the other hand, the new micro perf stators that you find in the Vantages are made with the latest ML tech of panels. Vacuum bonding and clear spars are used here too. Some here might think that the size of the panel matters a lot, and I think it is true with the old tech when you make comparisons between them (old tech). But the new tech at the panel, you do not need to have big area to have the same feeling of the size of the musical instruments. Also I find in the new tech, with more extension at the highs and better dispersion. Transparency and inner detail is awesome. The dynamics are breath taking and the coherence between the woofer with the panel is almost perfect. Of course, if you have bigger panels with the new tech, these are betters than the small ones. If I have to choose between old tech and new tech, you know my answer: new tech is better to my ears. Perhaps this will happen to you too. As I said before, trust your ears and not in specs. Happy listening!!!

I have to agree with Roberto on this one. I too, was looking at a mint pair of SL3s. I was nearly ready to pull the trigger when I heard the new Theos. All I can say is, wow! The dynamic capabilities of the new panels are awesome. Although the earlier panels sound great, the newer designs are in another league.

My only concern for Jay is with his SS gear and whether the older models, which have an overall warmer sonic signature, is the more appropriate match.

GG

How old are your SL3's? I repaneled mine last year with great results. Also Mr. Gray raises an excellent point. Have you tried different amplifiers in your system? As has been said before, these speakers are sensitive and very revealing to all upstream components. Good luck.

yeah - you have to go have a listen.. I would call it a completely different sound... My opinion of course... To me - it is like a different flavor...as gordon said - 'what is it you don't like....' ... and a lot of times it isn't about not liking something .. it is about finding something BETTER!! :) and you never know that until you go have a listen. I have Odysseys...have listened to Summits and Vistas.... I thought the Summits would be the only place I would go if I were to buy something new from ML.... but the sound was a different flavor than the old speakers... Biggest diff was bass and integration with the woofer.... I was hard pressed to figure what I liked better. If I was in the market today... I would get something new I think...I have yet to hear the newer speakers - The X, theos etc....that has the clx trickle down efffect....

Back