help please from the video experts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal, just finished up installing for my Dad his new flat panel LCD TV, and the first thing he says.....man the audio sounds like "chit" ! I told him ..."you're 78 years old and half deaf, so what difference does it make" !

So, I'd like to get for him as INEXSPENSIVE as possible receiver (HDMI compatible) and some cheapie speakers (small). maybe something as simple as a 2.1 set-up ??

Thoughts / suggestions ??

"you're 78 years old and half deaf, so what difference does it make" ![\QUOTE]

Weren't you right first time?:D

Why does it need to be HDMI compatible? Just use the (hopefully) RCA audio out jacks into a cheap receiver - over here that means amp AND radio (can you clarify that - do you want radio too?) - and make sure it has bass/treble controls. As we get older, so does our HF hearing response, so if he has difficulty hearing dialog, bumping up the treble will surely help.

Also, define cheap in $$$$, then we can be a bit more helpful. I have some speakers in mind, but need a dollar figure...

Why not use the audio out jacks on the TV to a pair of self-powered speakers? Plenty of companies out there making them now - Polk, JBL, ML :), etc. etc.

Probably no need for a sub - yes, no?

reason for HDMI capability is down the road ease of intigration with his stereo / CD set-up. I'm thinking a universal player so that he can do it all...TV, CD, DVD.....one remote, one set-up. But yes I suppose it could all be tied together with the basic audio I/C cables.

Dan, the powered speaker idea makes sense if he does not go beyond TV utilization.

Maybe when Rich gets his "back-up" system posted he might want to let go of some that ultra sweet gear !! LOL !

With respect to definition of "cheap"...receiver and speakers around $400-500

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Yikes Justin, I think my mother would have a problem with those ! Oh what the hell it's my fathers WAF problem not mine !!

But the Micropod is so small anyone over 70 can't see 'em:D Esp. in Black.

More cunning than you think, you see!:)

A few of my non-audiofile friends have been buying Onkyo receivers. They are getting outstanding reviews. Check out Cnet.com and they really sound great!

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR60...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219350299&sr=8-1

The one above is more than enough and it is only 350 bucks. Then I would just get him a pair of cheapish bookshelf speakers either by Dali, Dynaudio or some other good sounding brand. You could probably get the speakers for 350 or so.

I hope this helps!

Just got my mom/dad one of the Sony Bravia all-in-ones for that same reason. HDMI, 5 disk DVD with SACD options, IPOD dock, EQ mic, and it looks pretty good by the TV. $300 bucks and I never had to hear, "why is the DVD player going but I am getting no sound." :D

Sony has a HDMI-switching (only two inputs, though) receiver for $200. By far the cheapest I've seen, but HDMI switching has *just* come available on the cheapy receivers, pretty much all the new cheap ones have it.

You won't see this site mentioned here very often, but it should work for a deaf guy. :)

More good suggestions, thanks guys !

Right now just getting him to understand how to switch between his DVD player and TV reception is a chore !

You can get many Sony all in one systems for under $500. They actually sound OK. I run one with a Sunfire sub. The Sony sub sucked. Its good enough for movies that are mixed by a engineer on a cone speaker to be played back on a cone speaker. ;)

More good suggestions, thanks guys !

Right now just getting him to understand how to switch between his DVD player and TV reception is a chore !

once, on phone support with my dad on how to coordinate watch TV, watching VCR, recording VCR and so on, he got so flusetered that he asked if he had to have the TV turned on to watch the VCR...

consider a harmony remote that is activity based. my ex could never never understand the system until i got a harmony. hmmmm ... i still have the harmony ....

Back