HELP! My Vista sounds worse then .99 cents earphone

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jouyang

Reaction score
Recently, I purchased a pair of used Vista and I haven't connect it until today. I think I just got a pair of lemon. The upper range sound from the panel is hardly noticable. I have to turn the volume up to -25.00db in order to hear anything from the panel. Does this mean I just flashed a couple thousand down the toilet or is there any hope that I can fix it?

btw, Is ML's warrenty transferable?

UPDATE: A clean shower solved the problem.

thanks in advance,
~joy

Last edited:
Recently, I purchased a pair of used Vista and I haven't connect it until today. I think I just got a pair of lemon. The upper range sound from the panel is hardly noticable. I have to turn the volume up to -25.00db in order to hear anything from the panel. Does this mean I just flashed a couple thousand down the toilet or is there any hope that I can fix it?

btw, Is ML's warrenty transferable?

thanks in advance,
~joy

Did you not listen to them first? Then you know what their capabilities are and whether you've flushed any money down the toilet or not.

Now, do you have them plugged in and power available? Do you have the jumpers properly connected, or are they bi-wired? You're not using a totally crappy amp, are you?

First, make sure they are connected properly, as Adam said. If there is still no sound coming from the panels, then the panels may have come disconnected internally. Or your power supplies may be out. You may wish to contact ML by email or phone to help you troubleshoot the problem. I don't believe the warranty is transferrable, but the fix shouldn't be that difficult once you isolate the problem.

I'll join in with the rest. It sounds as though no power is getting to the panels.

You know I thought about that for a moment. I just gave a pair of Stylos to one of my grandsons and he left without the power cord. Fortunately, I got them to him before he was ready to listen.

Sorry, I didn't include the details. I have the power cord plugged in and connected.

Here are the thing that I know so far.
1. Both woofer sounds fine
2. Both ESL have the same issue(This is the strange part that both of them behave the same.

Issue: No sound from the ESL until you turn the volume to hit -25db or so. Once you hear the sound, it sounds like the volume is extremely loud from a ear phone that gone bad.

Things that I have tested with:
1. Connected to a Yamaha receiver
2. Connected to a new Emotiva XPA-3 with ESL only(because the woofer is fine)
3. Connected to a Adcom 545
4. Connected to a Audio Research Bulb Amp

The speakers are at my friend's house now so I can't try to unplug the power cord. Base on what I read here, sounds like you still can hear the sound from the panel even you don't plug in the power cord. Is that correct?

thanks in advance,
~joy

Some ideas: Make sure the outlet works that they are plugged into. Make sure the plugs are solidly plugged in at the speaker end. As Adam suggested above, make sure you are either properly bi-wired, or you have the jumpers in place between the two sets of binding posts.

If you are still having trouble, I again recommend that you call or email ML customer support to see if they can help you troubleshoot the issue.

Some ideas: Make sure the outlet works that they are plugged into. Make sure the plugs are solidly plugged in at the speaker end. As Adam suggested above, make sure you are either properly bi-wired, or you have the jumpers in place between the two sets of binding posts.

If you are still having trouble, I again recommend that you call or email ML customer support to see if they can help you troubleshoot the issue.

Hola...also, the Vistas are be-wired speakers, and if you are using only one cable, make sure you have the panes connected to the woofers with both metal plates that comes with them. If the plates are remove, you will not have any connection between the panels and the amplifier signal... happy listening,
Roberto.

Do the newer ML speakers also have the power light that my Aerius's have? If so make sure that the light is turning on indicating that they are getting power. Also the bi amp jumpers should be installed as well.

I was using the metal plate jumper but I know the woof works fine so I removed the jumper and connected the speaker wires to the ESL directly. Yes, the left speaker has a blue light next(or inside, i forgot) to the ML logo from the front panel. I don't recall there's a blue light on the right speaker.

thanks,
~joy

It's confirmed, the speakers sounds the same as if it's not pluged the power cord. Thank you all for the help. I'll contact ML support tomorrow.

thanks,
~joy

I was using the metal plate jumper but I know the woof works fine so I removed the jumper and connected the speaker wires to the ESL directly. Yes, the left speaker has a blue light next(or inside, i forgot) to the ML logo from the front panel. I don't recall there's a blue light on the right speaker.

thanks,
~joy

You should have two plates on each speaker, one connecting both posts reds, and another plate connecting both black posts...make sure you have connection, sometimes loose connection makes your problem happens...happy listening,
Roberto.

I called ML today and speak to Melodie Brouhard. She is great and very helpful. She is the one who sent me the speaker jumpers earlier too. The problem that I am having seems like a dead power supply. I'll update this thread once I have some update. Btw, a power supply is about $100 each and a new panel is around $250 each so it's not as bad as I thought. wheeeeeew.

thanks,
~joy

I replaced the power supply and it's a step closer but not there yet.

Speaker(Left)
I've replaced the power supply but the blue light is still off. The ESL have sound now but it's still low. I mean the volume is on it still very low. I can hear the bass over power the ESL sounds. Is there any thing to I can do? The Vista doesn't have a base volume control.

Speaker(Right)
I think the panel gone bad. I can hear the top of the panel pretty clear but it sounds pretty bad at the middle section. Is this a sign for new panel or is there still hope?

Both of the panel looks pretty dirty and it seems like there are some grease on it. Is that normal?

thanks,
~joy

Wow, Vista's are far too new to have had panels go bad. Are you certain you didn't cross wires at some point and created a short out? Sorry, I don't have any suggestions other than what's already been offered, and obviously warranty is not transferable.

Well, one word solved my headaches. I took those 2 panels for a good clean "shower". As for the blue led light from one of the speaker that didn't lit up, well that's because the previous owner must have taken the panel off before. The led light was not placed in the center.

I've inspected every hole of the 2 panels and I found 3 marks on each. Each mark is like a pen tip trying to get thru the plastic but it doesn't seem that it have gone through. Should I worry about those marks?

Thanks all for the help.

thanks,
~joy

Latest posts

Back