Help in deciding whether to buy used ML speakers.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceinc

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase two used Requests, and two used Scripts for my home theater. If anyone would be so kind, would you answer a few questions;

1) When testing these speakers, what should I look/listen for?

2) I have looked at them once already, but did not listen to them, and I noticed a little rust on the black screen near the floor. Should I be concerned? Also, Can that screen be removed and repainted easily?

3) My room is ~25'x16'x9' however I will only be able to bring the front panels of the requests off the wall (one of the 16' walls) about 20". Not much flexibility. Will that be an issue?

I don't believe I will have a problem driving them, as I have a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 1,000 watt mono blocks for the fronts, and an Emotiva XPA-2 500 watt stereo amp for the surrounds.

Your response is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Last edited:
Having never owned ML speakers, I was hoping to get some help from ML knowledgeable folks.

Did I not put this in the right category? If not would the moderator please move it to where it belongs.

Paul

Having never owned ML speakers, I was hoping to get some help from ML knowledgeable folks.

Did I not put this in the right category? If not would the moderator please move it to where it belongs.

Paul

Welcome Paul. Your post is fine, though generally speaking, new comers should post in the "new Member Intro" thread.

There are a number of varied answers to your questions that are available through the search function in this forum. That said, here's a high-level attempt to help get things kick-started for you:

First, I would encourage you to absolutely listen to any/all used speakers before pulling the trigger. It's so easy to inherit someone else's headaches.

1) When testing these speakers, what should I look/listen for?

Clear, articulate sound with extended frequency response (highs and lows). If anything sounds muffled or there's any rattling or buzzing, flag on play. Don't be afraid to turn up the volume as well... sometimes rattles/buzzes only surface at higher SPLs.

2) I have looked at them once already, but did not listen to them, and I noticed a little rust on the black screen near the floor. Should I be concerned? Also, Can that screen be removed and repainted easily?

Surface discoloration can be repaired... but if there's actual rust, I'd wonder if there has been water damage. That would be a major red flag for me - enough to walk away.

3) My room is ~25'x16'x9' however I will only be able to bring the front panels of the requests off the wall (one of the 16' walls) about 20". Not much flexibility. Will that be an issue?

Anything less than the recommended amount of clearance behind the speaker will impact soundstage/imaging. Though they will still sound very good (assuming no other physical or electrical problems)

I don't believe I will have a problem driving them, as I have a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 1,000 watt mono blocks for the fronts, and an Emotiva XPA-2 500 watt stereo amp for the surrounds.

Yes, plenty of power.

Good luck.

Paul,

To underscore what Todd said, rust is a MAJOR red flag.

Ask the previous owner about the history and also about panel age. Also check date(s) as to when speakers were made. There's a thread in the "Main Discussion Forum" that you can access to find this information.

Regarding what to listen for, sound should be clean and dynamic. Make sure there is no volume / output difference in the panels as well as the bass drivers. White noise, played in mono if possible, should be a first test for the panels. Play something that has well defined deep bass (acoustic bass instrument) to check out the bass drivers. Listen for well articulated presentation as the bass frequencies go from mid to low.

And as Todd said, don't be afraid to play at aggressive volume levels when you are doing your sonic audition.

Good luck and welcome to the MLC.

Gordon

Ditto to what Gordon and Todd said. As for the rust issue I suspect if it were serious enough the wood trim and base would show as well. A nick perhaps, combined with So Fla humidity rust would seem a natural !

Good advice already.

To add, also check the actual panel serial number and manufacture date using the decoder on this site. That will tell you how old the panels are - altogether more important than the speaker itself.

When listening, listen with your ear right next to the panels and ensure smooth volume and frequency response from all sections of the panel. Dead patches in the panel mean the panel needs to be replaced. Not too big an issue, but factor the cost into the purchase price. Then listen from the normal position and ensure both panels are balanced in volume and freq response.

Also, ask the guy about the maintenance regime. They should have been vacuumed regularly and kept in a relatively pollutant free environment.

If they have ever (and I mean EVER - at any stage) been in a smoking environment, forget it immediately.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

We are in South Florida, where humidity is a constant problem.

Unfortunately the test environment will be in a warehouse. They have an 8 channel amp that they are selling with it and a denon av receiver. I will need to set it up, as the folks that have it wouldn't know an electrostatic speaker from a bug zapper.

I will need to bring my own music source, and I will play them loud. I will get up close and personal to check for buzzing & rattles. I guess it would be best to test one speaker at a time in this environment.

They seem to be asking less than what the going rate for well cared for equipment sells for, but not thrift store prices. So I am not overly excited about the deal. The speakers were from 1998 based on the main serial numbers I believe.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

We are in South Florida, where humidity is a constant problem.

Unfortunately the test environment will be in a warehouse. They have an 8 channel amp that they are selling with it and a denon av receiver. I will need to set it up, as the folks that have it wouldn't know an electrostatic speaker from a bug zapper.

I will need to bring my own music source, and I will play them loud. I will get up close and personal to check for buzzing & rattles. I guess it would be best to test one speaker at a time in this environment.

They seem to be asking less than what the going rate for well cared for equipment sells for, but not thrift store prices. So I am not overly excited about the deal. The speakers were from 1998 based on the main serial numbers I believe.

Paul
Check the panel serial number as well. Testing one at a time is fine, but make sure you test both at the same time as well to ensure you detect any imbalance between them.

Back