Help and opinions requested...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyL999

Reaction score
OK... I'm a very happy ML owner and have gotten used to Ascents, Theater, Descent, and some non ML in wall rears driven by a Halo C2/A51 combination.

I've just bought a second home that we'll probably spend 6-8 weeks a year at, and I want to get a good system, but with some realistic budget limitations since it IS a part time place!

I was able to pick up Aeon i's and a Theater i at great prices. I'm planning on driving them with a Yammy RX-V2700... probably 95% of the use is HT or DTS/SACD music. Not a perfect solution, but I think functional.

What I really need help with is the sub. I think a Descent is overkill. Would be interested in your thoughts on Depth, Grotto, Abyss or non ML.

Thanks in advance for sharing the collective wisdom of this great group of people!

Randy

For HT, the sub to beat would have to be an SVS. You can easily score one under 1K that will meet your needs.

Joey

I agree with Joey on the SVS. I also think the ML subs are awesome. A Depth or a Grotto would be great in this situation.

My bigger concern for your enjoyment is the Yammy. I have an RX-V2400, and everytime I hook it up to my Logans I wince at the harsh edge that it imparts. Highly unenjoyable. If you find you can't stand the edge that the Yammy gives, you may want to sell it and try to find a used Sunfire or something that blends better with the Logans.

So what would you folks think of coupling a pair of SVS 20-39CS's with the Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer control system? Would that be overkill, or would the Velodyne box really be a benefit?

Or would I be better off getting a Sunfire EQ sub, and essentially having the whole rig in one box?

--Richard

Near or top of the line Pioneer Elite receiver would be a great choice for that. I was not able to even get $1k for my VSX49TX which was top of the line only a few years ago and it powered my Prodigy at the front, Cinema center, Ascent rear, and Script surrounds pretty well and sounded pretty good doing it too! I never felt like I was missing anything anyway, and I suspect you might find one for $800ish... up to $1k... Anything under $1k would be an excellent buy in my book.

So what would you folks think of coupling a pair of SVS 20-39CS's with the Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer control system? Would that be overkill, or would the Velodyne box really be a benefit?

Or would I be better off getting a Sunfire EQ sub, and essentially having the whole rig in one box?

--Richard
Probably be overkill. If this is a system that you'll rarely visit in the year, why invest so much into the audio equipment? I think that one well placed sub is good, no need for the SMS in this secondary home I think.

Joey, It appears that you are mixing up Richard's question with that of the original poster, who was Randy.

Richard, I would politely suggest starting a new thread with this question rather than hijacking Randy's thread. In it you could include a little more information about your system and your goals in order to help us answer your question in an informed manner.

Cheers,

There is such a thing as overkill with Audio??? :haha1:

The SMS-1 will always be a benefit in my opinion, except if you were to buy one of the Velodyne DD line of subs. And many people have posted the benefit of multiple subs in a setup.

Depends on what the EQ can do for you? Is is remotely controlled, does it measure the room or does it require you to "guess" at settings? Also, do you like the sound of the sub?

Dan

The SVS-1 will be great for any sub you get. It's a nice piece of gear...and it's nice to have it seperate. Any of the subs mentioned, or a bagend infrasub-18 (listed for $860 or so on audiogon right now) would do very well for you. Also check out the AV123 offerings if you're on a budget. They're one of the few companies out there that make me say "how do they do that!?" with the value they offer. Great products and a great price.

Or build your own! rhythmikaudio.com

Last edited:
Back