Helos 10 vs. Helos 100?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsimas

Reaction score
I am planning my new home entertainment system and am deciding between the helos 10 and helos 100. I will be using a Pioneer Elite sc-05 or sc-07 (hopefully that is a good choice to run these speakers) for my family room. The room is approximately 14' by 18'. I really like the adjustable bucket in the 100, but am wondering if that is overkill (since they are like $500 a piece).

Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I am planning my new home entertainment system and am deciding between the helos 10 and helos 100. I will be using a Pioneer Elite sc-05 or sc-07 (hopefully that is a good choice to run these speakers) for my family room. The room is approximately 14' by 18'. I really like the adjustable bucket in the 100, but am wondering if that is overkill (since they are like $500 a piece).

Your help and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I guess it depends on your budget. Either the SC05 or 07 would be a great choice. The 05 would have plenty of power for either speaker.
I sell a lot of the Helos100. The angled driver and dispersion switch in itself are prob worth the $200 price difference alone but the larger 8" driver sounds much better than the 6".
Make sure to give a long hard look at the Dynamat Dynaboxes. I wouldn't waste installing either speaker in the ceiling without a Dynabox. Not only does it improve the bass response it also keeps the back wave from radiating throughout the house.
IMO the Helos10 in a dynabox sounds better than the Helos100 by itself. You could always do the Helos100 and add the Dynabox later if you don't have the budget for it now. They are $150 each.
FYI it takes some tricky trimming of the Dynboxes to make the Helos100 work since they are so large.

Hope this helps.

I guess it depends on your budget. Either the SC05 or 07 would be a great choice. The 05 would have plenty of power for either speaker.
I sell a lot of the Helos100. The angled driver and dispersion switch in itself are prob worth the $200 price difference alone but the larger 8" driver sounds much better than the 6".
Make sure to give a long hard look at the Dynamat Dynaboxes. I wouldn't waste installing either speaker in the ceiling without a Dynabox. Not only does it improve the bass response it also keeps the back wave from radiating throughout the house.
IMO the Helos10 in a dynabox sounds better than the Helos100 by itself. You could always do the Helos100 and add the Dynabox later if you don't have the budget for it now. They are $150 each.
FYI it takes some tricky trimming of the Dynboxes to make the Helos100 work since they are so large.

Hope this helps.

If the room was on the smaller size would you think 4 helos 100 would be a bit much (I'm sure 4 helos 10 would sound good right? But I do like hearing more midtones). I was told that if I went with the helos 100 I should definitely buy the sc-07 because it has more power and a better power adaptor. I was impressed the whole speaker moves, but I am wondering if in a smaller room if they would already be close to the optimal listening position. Below is a link to my builder's website and like I said earlier, I think the room is like 14x18. Because there is not much room, we chose to go with all four speakers in the ceiling.

http://www.taylormorrison.com/Community.aspx?CommunityID=217

Click on pricing and plans and then LAGOS.

What do you think?

Dynaboxes?

Would you mind elaborating? I have a pair of Helos 100s that I was planning to install and hadn't heard of the Dynaboxes. What specifically is required to install them with the 100s?

Thanks,
Craig

I chose to go with the SC-05 but am still undecided on the Helos 10 vs. Helos 100. I am going to make my purchase sometime this week and would like a little more input from owners like you.

Please help!
B

Back