Hello from BC/Canada

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRace

Reaction score
Hello!

Soon to be a ML owner...thought it time to sign up to the site.
Summit X / Stage / Vista / Depth I - all in dark cherry...on their way....now comes the hard part...the waiting!! I am in the very fortunate postion of being able to test-drive all these beofre committing, so not yet certain just what will be staying.

These will be replacing my open-baffle DIY speakers which have ribbon tweets, and will be paired up with a Denon 4308 as a processor and a Bryston 9bsst2 for amplification. Source to be PS3 as Blu-ray/gaming, HTPC for HDTV and music, and a Oppo 981-HD for DVD, DVD-A and SACD.

Anyone here use just an AVR (with no seperate amps) to drive a ML home theater set? I have the Bryston coming for evaluation purposes and will be testing the system with and without it in the chain.

Will post some pics when the dust settles.

Hey, a fellow Okanaganer! Welcome from Kelowna!

Presumably, you'll be buying your gear from Lyle and Chris at The Hifi Attic?

The gear is coming from ML direct.

Does HiFi Attic still carry any ML? Last time I was in they only had a used pair...will have to go back and bug the boys.

The gear is coming from ML direct.

Wow, how did you swing that? I'm pretty sure Plurison (ML's Canadian distributor) would want a piece of the action!

Does HiFi Attic still carry any ML? Last time I was in they only had a used pair...will have to go back and bug the boys.

Yep. When I was there last week, they had a pair of Vantages hooked up, plus a couple of non-electrostatic MLs.

Wow, how did you swing that? I'm pretty sure Plurison (ML's Canadian distributor) would want a piece of the action!
Yep. When I was there last week, they had a pair of Vantages hooked up, plus a couple of non-electrostatic MLs.

This is a review set for Secrets of Home Theater.
Great looking setup you have!

Hi JRace.. you should have absolutely no problem running the system with a decent AVR.. I ran years with a Rotel 1067 and now with a Rotel 1560.. no problem at all.. added a Rotel 1572 250wpc amp and it opened up the system. Know that you will not get the optimal sound out of the setup with an AVR.

Which receiver are you going with?

Your system will be mostly self powered for the low end so there should be little strain on the amp section assuming it can handle the low impedance from the stats. I've seen/heard Summits being nicely driven with a 14wpc integrated tube amp.

I auditioned the Vistas with a Bryston amp but decided on the Rotel due to costs.

Have fun with the review. I'm sure you will throughly enjoy it.

Welcome to fray "J", as others have said your AVR will probably work fine but buy no means will provide the best case scenario ! So....if you are happy with your AVR results you can rest assurd that you will be able to take it to another level if you so desire !

Good Luck !

Thanks Rich---one day I amy be in touch!

Currently my own equipment includes a Denon 4308 receiver for the HT and a Marantz pm8003 integrated for the 2ch rig.

And just to really make these puppies sing I have a Bryston 9bsst2 here as a review sample also. Between those three I should be able to really test drive this system.

Hello JRace,
Welcome to the ML club. I participated in your forum topic on CAM the other day. I have the same user name there as well. Keep us posted how you like your new system once everything breaks in.
Cheers, Greg

...thanks for the welcome...now if the speakers would arrive I could finally pass my last initiation into this club...damm the waiting!
Oh well, gives me more time to stock up on new music and break in this Bryston beast.:rocker:

Well they arrived last week...dang shipping company refused to deliver to my home. Took three trips and two vehicles to get it all home...then all weekend to unbox and setup. At the last minute the order was changed from a Depth to a Descent...which in the end is a better mate to the Summit X's.

Initial reactions, :eek:. What did I get myself into! I have a feeling the return package will be lighter, much lighter! Haven't broken them in, or even turned em up yet. Did get a chance to play some tunes through them while enjoying my coffee Sunday morning....and for the first time in the 10 yrs I have been with my wife she actually said
"lets put on another disc":rocker:

Hope to have some picts up soon, but they arrived in the middle of a re-painting job in the listening room so it will have to wait.

Speaking of wait...why did I wait so long to get some ML's in my home?:bowdown:

Hello!

Soon to be a ML owner...thought it time to sign up to the site.
Summit X / Stage / Vista / Depth I - all in dark cherry...on their way....now comes the hard part...the waiting!! I am in the very fortunate postion of being able to test-drive all these beofre committing, so not yet certain just what will be staying.

These will be replacing my open-baffle DIY speakers which have ribbon tweets, and will be paired up with a Denon 4308 as a processor and a Bryston 9bsst2 for amplification. Source to be PS3 as Blu-ray/gaming, HTPC for HDTV and music, and a Oppo 981-HD for DVD, DVD-A and SACD.

Anyone here use just an AVR (with no seperate amps) to drive a ML home theater set? I have the Bryston coming for evaluation purposes and will be testing the system with and without it in the chain.

Will post some pics when the dust settles.

Welcome to the club!

I had used Pioneer's flagship receiver about three years ago when I had my Ascent-i. I used it to drive the Ascents, Theater, two surround speakers, and a Depth with no problem for HT. Of course, it was rather limited for 2-channel, but not to a terrible degree. The Bryston should hold up fine for HT.

Anthony

Last edited:
I spent all weekend driving the system with just the Denon 4308 receiever, and moved the Summits to the rears to really tax the receiver.

Drove it hard, and no shutdowns, and worked great.

The difference between the Denon and the Bryston was at low levels and high levels. In both cases the Bryston was clean, clear and very musical at all volumes. The Denon was bland at low volumes, and slightly edge at high volumes.

file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Back