Heat Treated CLSs - Does it get better?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easypete

Reaction score
Here's the set-up.... the question is below:

Over a year ago, I finally found some CLSs and had some money to play with. I bought the CLSs that I thought were new panels. They weren't. Bass was really loose, slapping the stators. I spent time on this forum getting some help, which ended up with me contacting the factory for support. Which lead me to heat treating.

I guess I was a little scared about the heat treating and don't think I did a complete job, as the speakers still rattled a little bit on the low frequencies. The speakers sat in a corner while I waited for some Kenergetics SW800s to become available.

It was right before Good Friday that I was able to purchase a pair, but the crossover was not working. Since I do some sound reinforcement, I did have a dbx Driverack PA+ that I could use as a crossover (and autoQ). I have the x-over point set at 110 Hz with (IIRC) a 18db/Oct slope (Butterworth).

The highs are running through my Ayre V5xe, the lows are running through the amplifier section of my NAD C375BEE. The NAD is also used as the pre-amp. Interconnects are mostly Diamondbacks with some King Cobras thrown in. The speaker wire for the highs is the AQ Gibralter. I'm using DH Labs Q10s for the subs.

My sources are the Denon 5910ce (for SACDs), a Rega P3 with Dynavector 10x5 cartridge and Dynavector - P75 Mk2 phono stage, and a mac mini with an M-Audio Profire 610 for my DAC for playback of CDs (ripped lossless), DVD-As (ripped mostly 96/24), and other hi-res downloads.

I'm quite happy with the sound I have right now. I plan on replacing the DAC with the Shiit Bitfrost when it comes out. Later, I will look at replacing the Driverack. I do love its benefits tho... semi-room correction with the autoQ, ability to add delay to integrate the sub much cleaner, and adding a hard-knee compressor for friends that want to come over and crank it.

The question:

Is it worth it to purchase replacement panels (last quote was $1200/pair), or would I be wasting money, since I removed the low frequency burden from these speakers?

Thanks for any feedback. Also, comments and critiques are always welcome.

I would bet that if they had problems in the bass section, they probably had places elsewhere, too. I would replace them.

Back