Headphones

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
My grado SRS 125 pads are disintergrating, and adjuster is broken. So I thought HELL! Im going E Bay. So i got a brand new pair of AKG K701 headphones at a good price. They arrived to day, so hooked them to pre amp and leaving a CD on repeat. The reviews are quite favourable. Just wondering if any members have/ are using these.

Believe it or not, I own three pairs of 701s--and no, I don't have six ears! They're great headphones. I use them at home and at the office. I bought a second pair for home because my son and my wife kept wanting to use my first pair.

701's on eBay

I like my 701's...

Had em recabled by Ken Ball at ALO Audio and they sound even
better!

I jist bought a pair of AKG 701's for $222 out the door on eBay. Do a search. The guy usually has a BIN for $224 plus $9.99 shipping.
They come in a sealed box!

JM

I have a pair of hd650's I like them. I have never heard a better pair like stax maybe that is a good thing

I once spent a long time in a show listening to these. A mere £10,000. No longer made. Sennheiser Orpheus - should buy a pair to match my cart.:D

Good - but £10,000? Hmmm....

I'm pretty happy with an old pair of Sennheiser HD590s.

Attachments

• orpheus.jpg
    orpheus.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 165
to be totally honest I think for music my hd650's kind of suck a little but for movies they really rock

Each to their own... and the 590s were cheaper:) I paid £70 - a massive discount. I definately like em, though. A little veiled is my only real complaint. With phones, price is no real guarantee of quality. Gotta be quite careful. I have always liked Senn's, though.

Last edited:
Update - I got a pair of AKG K702s a few weeks ago. And they are very good indeed. Same as the 701s but in dark blue, with a removeable lead.

Bear in mind they aren't that sensitive, though - you may find you can't get sufficient volume with some portable players. And they are no good for work due to the sound they emit outside the headphone.

Attachments

• akg702.jpg
    akg702.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 141
A local headphone afficionado recently gave me the "heads up" (pardon the pun) on the discontinued Philips HP910, available here for ~$45. After breaking in, they sound fantastic with my Benchmark DAC1 as source. Only caveat is they are an open can design, so not ideal for truly private listening. However, for the $$, you can't go wrong for occasional listening.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...nition-Stereo-Headphones/3262943/product.html

I have a pair of 701's and love them. I previously had Sennheiser 650's that were good but were stolen.
Never have regretted buying the 701's. They do everything the 650"s did and much more. Better low end and livlier mids and highs.

Back