Quest Z repaired at last

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
It has been a few weeks since I logged on. My Quest Z became faulty, I noticed that one speaker panel was louder. I contacted Martin Logan and followed instructions for cleaning, and still same problem.I thought that the efficiency of one panel was going. Both bass units were working evenly. Lucky that they were still under the ninety day guarantee. Well I purchased a new pair of stator panels, (Absolute sounds, London, £880.00) waited for them for over two weeks to arrive from USA. They arrived and I removed the old panels which is a fairly easy affair. WOW!!! I was shocked, I never saw so much cobwebs, and one dome was squashed! Ok we applied the new panels (my son assisting) and nothing, I replaced the old panels and nothing. I had originally purchased the speakers from Highfi trading station who have now closed, but advertising on E Bay, and after about two weeks they were collected by Absolute sounds, there must have been some politics involved in the collection. Got them back two days ago. The receipt states that dome repaired + refurbished X 2 PSU and fitted. They are working fine, just got wait for the panels to run in which should take up to eighty hours. So I am left with a spare pair of panels, wonder if I could sell these.
Oh yes! I blundered. When the speakers arrived back from Absolute sounds, we set them up, I really could not listen as I was due on late shift at work. My son text me later and mentioned that they were really boomy with a Daryl Hall 12 inch record that he just bought from e bay. Strange but when we set them up I did notice when standing between the speakers, as the system components are in the center that there was a unbalance, and this was quite an unpleasant sensation. Later that evening after work I settled down with a few bacardies and listened, yes he was right; there was BOOM. Eventually I got up , had a look at the back. WOW! the bass cable was incorrect, RED TO BLACK, BLACK TO RED. (on the left side) Fixed this and BOOM gone, no unpleasant sensation. This is a simple error, and I wonder now on looking at some reviews on the internet Eg Audio review.com, do people really set up their systems correctly as some complain of boom with the Quests. LOL, just interesting; a simple error like that can make a speaker sound awful.
This is just a simple error, but can happen quite easily. Now to try some Michell cones underneath the Logans, hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Back