Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big T,

Got one more for ya... can you investigate what is going on with the updated Summit and if it can be upgraded in the field and more importantly - HOW MUCH??

Thanks!

Joey

Tom, another request. I would like your impressions of the CLX on piano solos (especially when the piano gets percussive - Beethoven), and on symphonic/choral works. Thanks.

BTW is your system reassembled yet? I imagine that when you get back you will be eager to do a comparison based upon your aural memory.

Tom, another request. I would like your impressions of the CLX on piano solos (especially when the piano gets percussive - Beethoven), and on symphonic/choral works. Thanks.

BTW is your system reassembled yet? I imagine that when you get back you will be eager to do a comparison based upon your aural memory.

Unfortunately, we are waiting on new carpeting, so I'll be without a system for another couple of weeks at the least... :(:mad:

Definitely will ask about the Summit X when I'm there.

I don't have any music like that - classical piano solo. I'll see what they have at ML for me to listen to in that genre.

IMHO, the CLS aready does a commendable job with the tasks you mention. In fact, the dynamics and sheer lack of strain are truly extraordinary. I have found that this aspect of the CLS' performance speaks not so much of the speaker itself, but rather the ultimate capability of the amplifier driving the speakers.

This is why a 100 or 200 watt amp, no matter how well-regarded it is, is no match to the sheer effortless dynamic range afforded by a 600+ watt Sunfire that is rock-stable with impedance loads approaching a dead short and remains sonically engaging regardless of the effort.

On that note, I am assuming that Tom will be listening to the CLX's amplified by a low to moderately powered McIntosh. It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the dynamic expression and range afforded by an amplifier in this range of power and capability.

IMHO, the CLS aready does a commendable job with the tasks you mention. In fact, the dynamics and sheer lack of strain are truly extraordinary. I have found that this aspect of the CLS' performance speaks not so much of the speaker itself, but rather the ultimate capability of the amplifier driving the speakers.
To my great sorrow and chagrin I have not heard the CLS.

Big T,

Got one more for ya... can you investigate what is going on with the updated Summit and if it can be upgraded in the field and more importantly - HOW MUCH??

Thanks!

Joey

This question is burning my heart (and probably my wallet) as well.

My CDs for Lawrence...

Hey all,

here are the CDs I'm taking to Lawrence:

1. The Corrs - Borrowed Heaven (redbook)
2. Yes - Magnification (DVD-A)
3. Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions (SACD)
4. John Mayer - Room For Squares (SACD)
5. Journey - Escape (SACD)
6. Keane - Hopes & Fears (SACD)
7. Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time (SACD)
8. Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (DVD-A)
9. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD)
10. Roxy Music - Avalon (SACD)
11. Linda Ronstadt w/Nelson Riddle Orchestra - Round Midnight (redbook)
12. Jon & Vangelis - Best of Jon & Vangelis (redbook)
13. Tears For Fears - Seeds of Love (redbook)
14. Harry Connick, Jr - Blue Light, Red Light (redbook)
15. Days Of The New - Days Of The New 2 (redbook)
16. The Producers - Coelacanth (redbook)
17. Dishwalla - Opaline (redbook)
18. Gene - Revelations (redbook)
19. Joe Jackson - Blaze of Glory (redbook)
20. Electric Light Orchestra - Out of The Blue (redbook)
21. Mad Season - Above (redbook)
22. Radiohead - OK Computer (redbook)
23. Rush - Hemispheres (redbook)

This will be FUN!! Can't wait! They're gonna have to DRAG me away from that place... :devil:

Tom.

music

what no classical music which is unamplifed and more what live music is like this would be a good test for any speaker, including the CLX.

This will be FUN!! Can't wait! They're gonna have to DRAG me away from that place... :devil:

Tom.

Yo Tommy,

You're a pretty big guy.... I sincerely doubt they have anyone on the ML team (i.e David Penrod or Jim Powers) who can take you out or drag you out against your will.

:)

what no classical music which is unamplifed and more what live music is like this would be a good test for any speaker, including the CLX.

How would this be a good test if I am unfamiliar with the music?

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of classical music and listening to it on CLXs would be pure torture.

Yo Tommy,

You're a pretty big guy.... I sincerely doubt they have anyone on the ML team (i.e David Penrod or Jim Powers) who can take you out or drag you out against your will.

:)

Yeah, I can see it going down something like this:

6:00am - Tom arrives at Martin Logan facility, walks around checking all the doors, leaves nose prints on front door glass.

7:00am - Jim Powers arrives, let's Tom in after assuring Lawrance PD that Tom is a guest, not a prowler. Jim makes coffee but doesn't offer any to Tom because he notices that Tom's already a little "amped up".

8:00am - Devin Zell arrives, asks Tom if he wants to do a quick tour. Tom says "No, that's cool, seen it, got the tee shirt. Where are the CLX's? HEY, I brought a few CD's. Should we start warming things up?"

8:02am - Listening begins

11:30am - Devin pokes head into listening room and asks if Tom would like to get some lunch. Tom says "Ssssscccchhhhh!" and throws a pillow at Devin.

12:25pm - Devin slides a sandwich and Coke through the barely cracked door of the listening room, notices that he's hearing the same Toy Matinee song for the 6th time, checks to see if Tom's OK, Tom just sits there, grinning.

3:30pm - Concerned, Devin and David enter the room and suggest that maybe Tom take a little break, maybe he should find the mens room? Tom asks if they just have a bucket.

6:00pm - Devin and David usher in the janitor and show him where the bucket is. They stand around for a bit just looking at their watches, trying to drop the hint that they both have things to do. Tom has moved on to Tears for Fears. He's oblivious to their presence.

7:30pm - David split an hour ago, Devin suggests that maybe Tom is hungry and might want some dinner. Tom says "Actually, yeah, that sounds great. Hey can we order in a pizza or two? How about some beer?" Tom throws his credit card at Devin and tells him to go light on the anchovies.

10:45pm - Devin suggests that maybe everyone could use a little rest, maybe catch some sleep. Tom says "Oh hey, I'm sorry man. You go on ahead, I'm good here on the couch."

7:00am (next morning) - Jim Powers pulls in, unlocks the front door, immediately hears the Electric Light Orchestra blaring from the listening room. Decides to call the Lawrance PD and tell them he made a mistake yesterday, it was a prowler after all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, all recorded music is "amplified." Only live music on acoustical instruments is unamplified. Classical music is no more "what live music is like" than any other genre of acoustic music.

TomDac said:
How would this be a good test if I am unfamiliar with the music? Sorry, but I'm not a fan of classical music and listening to it on CLXs would be pure torture.

And there it is. Ultimately, you can't effectively demo equipment on music with which you are unfamiliar or that you have a strong distaste for. Though lots of folks hold classical music up as the be-all end-all for demoing gear due to its dynamic range, tonal shadings, and sheer number of different instruments, it is certainly not required to effectively evaluate a system or component.

Tom's list is quite diverse and should give him a good understanding for how this speaker performs with lots of different types of music.

Knowing this won't be far from the truth, I told my wife not to wait up for me on Saturday night (the second day of listening)!

Look forward to seeing you in Kansas Tom.

Devin

Nice list of Music, but no DSOTM in SACD, I thought for sure Tom was a Pink fan.:music:

Knowing this won't be far from the truth, I told my wife not to wait up for me on Saturday night (the second day of listening)!

Look forward to seeing you in Kansas Tom.

Devin

You know, it's only about a 7 hour drive for me from Denver. I could easily join in on Saturday.

I'll bring beer?!?

Yeah, I can see it going down something like this:

6:00am - Tom arrives at Matin Logan facility, walks around checking all the doors, leaves nose prints on front door glass.

7:00am - Jim Powers arrives, let's Tom in after assuring Lawrance PD that Tom is a guest, not a prowler. Jim makes coffee but doesn't offer any to Tom because he notices that Tom's already a little "amped up".

8:00am - Devin Zell arrives, asks Tom if he wants to do a quick tour. Tom says "No, that's cool, seen it, got the tee shirt. Where are the CLX's? HEY, I brought a few CD's. Should we start warming things up?"

8:02am - Listening begins

11:30am - Devin pokes head into listening room and asks if Tom would like to get some lunch. Tom says "Ssssscccchhhhh!" and throws a pillow at Devin.

12:25pm - Devin slides a sandwich and Coke through the barely cracked door of the listening room, notices that he's hearing the same Toy Matinee song for the 6th time, checks to see if Tom's OK, Tom just sits there, grinning.

3:30pm - Concerned, Devin and David enter the room and suggest that maybe Tom take a little break, maybe he should find the mens room? Tom asks if they just have a bucket.

6:00pm - Devin and David usher in the janitor and show him where the bucket is. They stand around for a bit just looking at their watches, trying to drop the hint that they both have things to do. Tom has moved on to Tears for Fears. He's oblivious to their presence.

7:30pm - David split an hour ago, Devin suggests that maybe Tom is hungry and might want some dinner. Tom says "Actually, yeah, that sounds great. Hey can we order in a pizza or two? How about some beer?" Tom throws his credit card at Devin and tells him to go light on the anchovies.

10:45pm - Devin suggests that maybe everyone could use a little rest, maybe catch some sleep. Tom says "Oh hey, I'm sorry man. You go on ahead, I'm good here on the couch."

7:00am (next morning) - Jim Powers pulls in, unlocks the front door, immediately hears the Electric Light Orchestra blaring from the listening room. Decides to call the Lawrance PD and tell them he made a mistake yesterday, it was a prowler after all.

ROFL! Tim, you're killin' me!! classic! You even Got Devin to chime in!! sweet!

The only thing that might differ is this: HEAVY on the anchovies!!

Last edited:
Nice list of Music, but no DSOTM in SACD, I thought for sure Tom was a Pink fan.:music:

I didn't think it would be cool for me to put on DSOTM and then spark up.. LOL..

just kidding, of course...

Can't wait to hear Rush's "The Trees" cranked up on the CLX's!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back