Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree completely. With my list of recordings, I was just ...

trying to address possible pitfalls in the new "crossed over" design.

IMHO, the CLS already nails female vocals very very well. I am expecting that the "XStat" fullrange will not be a "lesser" speaker than the CLS.

Piano is a great point. That should actually be at the top of the list along side male vocals! Not just for reproduction (it'll put those bass panels to work), but also for strain on the amplifier. Who knows what kind of crazy-assed load this thing presents to amplifiers.

Damn, what a friggin great opportunity this is for Tom!!!

Don't forget the female vocal range; there are some soprano recordings that are hard to reproduce cleanly. Also take some solo piano.

Last edited:
Piano is a great point. That should actually be at the top of the list along side male vocals!
I should have added in my original post that the piano recording should be a percussive work, something like (if memory serves as I have not listened to it in a long while), Reference Recordings' "Nojima Plays Liszt".

I hope that the guys at ML have a turntable as well.

Last edited:
5. Why do they say: "Vojtko filtering" vs. "Vojtko crossover?" Is this just marketing hype, or is there something different about the crossover in the speaker that makes it somehow less of a crossover?
A crossover is just a specific application of a filter, e.g. a low-pass filter routes the lower frequencies to the woofer, while cutting off the higher frequencies.

BTW Joe Vojtko at ML designed their proprietary crossovers, hence the name.

A crossover is just a specific application of a filter, e.g. a low-pass filter routes the lower frequencies to the woofer, while cutting off the higher frequencies.

BTW Joe Vojtko at ML designed their proprietary crossovers, hence the name.

Right. My point is that with every other ML speaker they call it a "Vojtko Crossover." With this speaker they call it "Vojtko filtering." Either they are throwing marketing hyperbole at us in the hopes we won't be smart enough to understand that this speaker does have a crossover (with the accompanying disappointment that they weren't able to achieve a crossoverless design like the CLS) or there is something different about this crossover that merits the change in terminology. If so, I would like to know what it is.

But if it is a standard Vojtko crossover, as I expect, I don't particularly appreciate them trying to hide that fact with deceptive marketing phrases. If it has a crossover, just say it has a crossover -- like you do with every other speaker you produce.

"But if it is a standard Vojtko crossover, as I expect, I don't particularly appreciate them trying to hide that fact with deceptive marketing phrases. If it has a crossover, just say it has a crossover -- like you do with every other speaker you produce."

I don't know if it is a "standard" crossover, but it is a CROSSOVER!

Minimum distance to wall

Can you find out what the minimum distance to the front wall would be with a set of CLXs set up as front channels. In other words, what are the minimum placement requirements for a room. Maybe not optimum but rather minimum.

Can you find out what the minimum distance to the front wall would be with a set of CLXs set up as front channels. In other words, what are the minimum placement requirements for a room. Maybe not optimum but rather minimum.

There might two answers to this question:

With
  1. Front wall has acoustic treatments (broadband absorption)
  2. Flat, reflective wall

For #1, I'd say it will be 3' or so

For #2, I'd expect >4', the demo room at Munich seems to have them about 5' out.

But I'd like to hear what they have to say as well.

Right. My point is that with every other ML speaker they call it a "Vojtko Crossover." With this speaker they call it "Vojtko filtering." Either they are throwing marketing hyperbole at us in the hopes we won't be smart enough to understand that this speaker does have a crossover (with the accompanying disappointment that they weren't able to achieve a crossoverless design like the CLS) or there is something different about this crossover that merits the change in terminology. If so, I would like to know what it is.

But if it is a standard Vojtko crossover, as I expect, I don't particularly appreciate them trying to hide that fact with deceptive marketing phrases. If it has a crossover, just say it has a crossover -- like you do with every other speaker you produce.

Rich, the unit most definetly has a crossover, the release PDF shows a 360Hz 'Crossover' in the numerical spec section. So they do use the word somehwere ;)

My guess is there are two 'filters' in there, one high-pass for the main panel, and a band-pass for the DualForce ESL. The band-pass is tuned to allow 56 to 360Hz range to pass. I'm curious about slopes and such, so I hope to learn more about that when reviews come out.

They have to 'filter' out the low-end, as one would not want to overdrive the ESL on the low frequencies. Even the beloved 'ful-range' CLS has a low-freq. roll-off 'filter' integrated into its electroinics.

I'd not lose too much sleep over the fact that this speaker needs to have frequency division. It's just the nature of the beast.

Now, I will get torqued up over the fact that there does not seem to be an active crossover option. But then, that's just me, the bleeding edge dude. :devil:

A few questions I have thought up:

1: How does the triple stator work?
2: What are the four separate areas in the panel - these look more than spars?
3: Regarding the Spire, if it uses the same panels as the Summit, why is the crossover frequency different?

Have a great time Tom!

Another Question

With all the discussion on another thread about stands for the CLS and rear bracing, has ML investigated the effects of rear bracing on the CLX, and if so, why is it not included with the speaker if it does improve it ?

Oh, and another one - why the big, ugly timber? frame / tapered stand around the nice, clean air-frame?

Wasn't one of the ideas of the air-frame to improve sound by eliminating substances for early reflection?

I'm not talking about the trim (although why this too), but what appears to be a "support" for the speaker, tapered from the base of the speaker upwards.

Hey guys & gals,

Next Friday (June 13th) I'll be on a plane to Lawrence to spend a couple of days with the folks from ML listening to the Spire and CLX.

I've gotten all your questions and will be forwarding them directly to ML so they can give me feedback and I'll post the results on the site when I get them.

I will be taking my laptop with me and will be providing you all with blow-by-blow commentary and photos, so check the site often on Saturday June 14th....

sah-weeeeeeeeet!!!

Tom.

Have fun Tom.

If, for some reason, you can't make it, I might be able to fill in for the big guy.:D

Gordon

It's Good to be Da King, eh ? :)

Have fun Tom.
I'm sure it'll prove to be an awesome experience.

I can't wait to hear and see the CLX's through your commentary and candid photography.

One more "Request" Tom, if it hasn't been made already. Take a disk with some good bass content on it. Then insist the Descent i (s) are turned off. Try then to evaluate the perceived bass performance. Then let 'em put the Descent (s) back on. Honest comments will be well appreciated... hard to do perhaps considering your position I suppose but it will be REALLY interesting to see what you say....:)

Enjoy. You have MORE than earned it!

Justin

Latest posts

Back