HDMI vs USB

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmstpierre

Reaction score
Hi all,

What is the general consensud about HDMI vs USB from a computer to a dac for audio only purposes.
It seems to me that many new dacs coming onto the market have both HDMI and usb inputs as well as the common toslnk,spiff such as linn systems, oppo and nad dacs.
Is there any advantages of going for USB over hdmi or vice versa.. Can t really find anything on the search function.
Obviously asynchronous USB dictates the "flow" of data but what about hdmi?
Regards
John

I think hdmi has jitter from the transports but hdmi has a mutch higher bandwidth so it should be the best if implemented properly. The only hdmi transport that functions best that I am aware of is the ps audio perfect wave transport as it sounds better than usb from a computer when fed into the perfect wave dac. Most users burn the high res downloads onto a dvd and then play then through through the perfect wave transport linked with the usb and apparently this sounds better than the same feed from a computer via usb

Hi projectionmovielover,

Thanks for your reply and advice. I thought the HDMI you mentioned was a different type of HDMI connection currently found on most/all AV components.
I have indeed read that this HDMI used by W4S and PS AUDIO are Quite good.
I am just intrigued by the HDMI interface as an audio only connection from computer to dac. I was considering a dac with hdmi inputs/output to simplify my system, but in the end I may just go for a more conventional dac and connect my computer in order to use jrivers via either spdif or USB, and use the HDMI out of computer direct to screen if I want to show/watch my photos or home videos..I am not sure how this will work, but will have to investigate a bit more.
Regards

Back