HDMI Ver 1.3 with problems...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hello...I have an Oppo DVD player that I have it connected to my Plasma Panasonic TV. When I turn the DVD player on, sometimes I have at the screen an image like if I was playing a Pal through NTSC standard. I unplugged it then re-connected and the image is o.k. Does anybody knows how to solve this problem? Thanks, and happy listening,
Roberto.

I've experienced this problem on a couple of different TVs, and with a number of different sources. I think it's just a common HDMI problem. I've found that it does not actually require unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable, though. Since HDMI does a handshaking procedure every time it is connected to, all you should need to do is change the channel or input of the television, and then flip back.

I've experienced this problem on a couple of different TVs, and with a number of different sources. I think it's just a common HDMI problem. I've found that it does not actually require unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable, though. Since HDMI does a handshaking procedure every time it is connected to, all you should need to do is change the channel or input of the television, and then flip back.
thanks Feltran...you know, in my case does not work. If I change the input, even at my receiver or the tv, the problem remains until I unplugg it and reconnect it. Funny problem, right? I can see that I am not the only one with this...thanks for the tip too, happy listening,
Roberto.

HDMI is indeed funny like that...i have some rather crazy stories (at least crazy to me) of weird HDMI shenanigans.

also to consider...as Feltran mentioned...HDMI requires a hand shake...some gear requires constant handshake, while others only one at the start. the problem here is that not all gear has the same number of handshakes...not that stating this really helps you out, but just something to think about.

have you tried different lengths of HDMI...i know this sounds crazy, but like i said above...crazy HDMI stories. the short of the long on the dif length: a guy had a projector and some associated gear for a HT...couldnt get a picture at all. tried every dif combo of gear and cables and projectors etc. all the cables were the same length...randomly tried a slightly longer (of the same model as the initial) cable and the the system worked! for the initial lenght he had, the handshake and passing data just would not work for him...there are some more technical explanations of what was going on, but i can PM that if neone was interested...

Hello...I have an Oppo DVD player that I have it connected to my Plasma Panasonic TV. When I turn the DVD player on, sometimes I have at the screen an image like if I was playing a Pal through NTSC standard. I unplugged it then re-connected and the image is o.k. Does anybody knows how to solve this problem? Thanks, and happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto,

Its sounds like a handshake issue. I am assuming you have the TV on and then turn on the DVD player? What occurs if you turn on the DVD player and then the TV on? Maybe try swapping the HDMI cable. Good luck.

Roberto,

I don't have any experience with the Oppo's but I would agree with Statman, it sounds like a handshaking issue.

Does the Oppo have update-able firmware? If so I would check your version and see if there is a new firmware available.

Thanks chicos...

Gracias chicos...now that I had started this, my HDMI is working perfect...I had turned off the tv, and then the Oppo, and viceversa, the same result...now it is working without any problmem !!!!!????...it is a funny thing...again, thanks a lot for the replies and advises...happy listening,
Roberto.

Does the Oppo have update-able firmware? If so I would check your version and see if there is a new firmware available.

Yes it does. A friend of mine just updated his (980?) to the most-recent version and said it solved the few remaining problems his had. The firmware is downloadable to a USB thumbdrive, which you then plug into the Oppo for upgrade. As with most firmware upgrades, be sure you don't glitch the power while this is in-process or you may "brick" your unit and have to send it back to the factory to be re-flashed.

Back