HDMI Switchers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone here know of or is currently using an HDMI switcher that will pass audio and video without major loss to both? Oh, and doesn't break the bank account.....mine is pretty broken right now after some recent purchases.;)

I have too many HDMI components with only 1 feed to my projector and I can't afford to upgrade my processor right now.

Dan

Last edited:
When I got my PS3 I ran into the same issue. I picked up a 4 input/1 output device at Best Buy for $39.00. I have no way to measure any differences, but it looks and sounds exactly the same as before.

When I got my PS3 I ran into the same issue. I picked up a 4 input/1 output device at Best Buy for $39.00. I have no way to measure any differences, but it looks and sounds exactly the same as before.

What kind was/is it? If you don't mind me asking.

Attachments

• octava_hdmi_bas.jpg
    octava_hdmi_bas.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 125
  • octava_hdmi_fas.jpg
    octava_hdmi_fas.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 122
If a simple switcher will do, I have a Monoprice 5 to 1 switcher I used to use for exactly this purpose.

I'm not using it, so if you want a used one, it's $25 + shipping.

But new ones are available from Monoprice.com. Check them out.

What is the deal with the huge disparity in price, ie. $35 to $450? I'm being told from people on the street that most HDMI switchers will not carry 1080i/p through the circuit and it comes out as 720i. Do you have to spend a ton of $$ on the HDMI switchers to get a stable signal on the otherside? I've been around audio long enough to know sometimes you've got to spend money to get quality and sometimes you don't....which one is this?

I'm stumped. I bought one already for $49 and it was crap..had a replacement sent , and it was crap too..maybe it was just the brand of switcher I bought and not necessarily the $$ amount I spent.

Help..

Dan

Got mine from Oppo (oppodigital.com). I have my bluray running through it and it's passing 1080p video. It's HDMI v3 capable, so it will switch hi-res audio as well. $99, ain't the cheapest you can get but reasonable and comes with a remote control!

http://www.xtrememac.com/xtremehd/switcher/index.php

I've had this one for a long while and I'm happy with it. Small, nice looking, reasonably priced, 1080p, has a remote. I can't say I'm positive that there is no loss of quality, but I haven't noticed any.

As far as a signal going into a switcher as 1080i/p and coming out as 720i, that's simply not possible. Maybe if your switcher didn't support 1080p and your source was set to autodetect resolution the source might scale down its output to 720i/p, but if it did that you'd easily be able to know it was doing it by looking at what the source said it was outputting or by what the TV said it was displaying.

Last edited:
Dan, this one from Monoprice should work fine:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5081&seq=1&format=2

For $30, you might not believe it, but I have the three year older version, and it fully passed 1080i and drove a 35' cable to my projector with no problems for years.

No need to break the bank jsut to switch HDMI. Just make sure it has adequate line drivers if you plan to use long output cables.

Thanks everyone for your help..I appreciate it!:bowdown:

Dan, this one from Monoprice should work fine:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5081&seq=1&format=2

For $30, you might not believe it, but I have the three year older version, and it fully passed 1080i and drove a 35' cable to my projector with no problems for years.

No need to break the bank jsut to switch HDMI. Just make sure it has adequate line drivers if you plan to use long output cables.

JonFo, thanks for the link..I'm going to give this one a try and see how it does. I'll give an update to you when I get it.

Thanks again!:rocker:

Dan

Thanks everyone for your help..I appreciate it!:bowdown:

JonFo, thanks for the link..I'm going to give this one a try and see how it does. I'll give an update to you when I get it.

Thanks again!:rocker:

Dan

Just received the monoprice switcher and hooked it up. It works beautifully...no loss of signal and no audio loss! Perfect..

Never felt so good about spending $30 + $5 shipping in my life..

Thanks again! :bowdown:My frustrations have subsided.......for now anyway.:D

Dan

Back