HDMI nonsense

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socialxray

Reaction score
OK I have been meaning to upgrade but this HDMI nonsense has got me confused. If anybody can help me with some information it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I believe that the HDMI standards are not forwards compatiable. Meaning that HDMI 1.1 will not pass an audio signal like HDMI 1.3 can. Is that correct?

2. If 1 is correct then how does audio get passed? Via optical or coaxial cable just like a regular DVD player?

3. If 2 is correct, can the new Dolby and DTS formats be passed via optical or coaxial cable or am I stuck with 5 to 8 different cables for surround sound?

4. If I upgrade now am I going to be stuck in Cable Hell?

I would also like to know how other people in the forum are planning on upgrading once we get HDMI 1.3.

"hdmi"

OK I have been meaning to upgrade but this HDMI nonsense has got me confused. If anybody can help me with some information it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I believe that the HDMI standards are not forwards compatible. Meaning that HDMI 1.1 will not pass an audio signal like HDMI 1.3 can. Is that correct?

2. If 1 is correct then how does audio get passed? Via optical or coaxial cable just like a regular DVD player?

3. If 2 is correct, can the new Dolby and DTS formats be passed via optical or coaxial cable or am I stuck with 5 to 8 different cables for surround sound?

I would also like to know how other people in the forum are planning on upgrading once we get HDMI 1.3.
socialxay,

Joe could probably explain this better than me... I will try to answer your questions in order:

1). As I understand it HDMI 1.3 uses completely different cables than HDMI 1.1. HDMI 1.1 is not backwards compatible to HDMI 1.3, so you would have to purchase all new HDMI 1.3 cabling.

2). #1 is correct.... Audio and video passes through the one HDMI 1.3 cable, not optical or coaxial cabling. New processors will decode the HDMI 1.3 signal for audio / video presentation through the HDMI 1.3 cable only (DTS HD-True 5.1 etc.) from the source player, then on to your monitor.

3). #2 is correct... Only through the HDMI 1.3 cabling only (not optical or coaxial cables). Think of the cabling as much more simple as you only have the one kind of cabling ~ HDMI 1.3 cables, carrying all the audio and video signals, over just HDMI 1.3 cables..., connected from the source to the processor to the monitor.

4). No, you are going to a simpler Cable Hell..., As we all are ~ in the HDMI 1.3 world of HT anyway... We are going to end-up spending more bucks initially for the new HDMI 1.3 cables at any rate. "No bucks, No Buck Rogers." :D

If Joe (Zip) has anything to add around this, I here by defer to him as he understands this so well. Joe, if I am wrong in my above explanation, please let me know, where I have gone wrong... :eek:
I just wish, I had some photo's to share showing all of this HDMI 1.3 subject. Maybe I'll look around and see what I can find and post some later on... ;)

Good luck.

HTH

Last edited:

1. I believe that the HDMI standards are not forwards compatiable. Meaning that HDMI 1.1 will not pass an audio signal like HDMI 1.3 can. Is that correct
The point of HDMI is to pass both digital audio and video over one cable.

The HDMI standards are backwards compatible but not forward compatible. An HDMI 1.3 component can work with a 1.1 receiver. But both must have the newer standard to pass the newer features.
Dolby digital and DTS can be passed over any version of HDMI or Toshlink/digital coax.
The new audio formats cannot be passed over Toslink or coax. You need HDMI 1.1 or better to pass a processed PCM single from the player to the receiver. HDMI 1.3 is needed if you want to pass a raw unprocessed single for the receivers Dolby true HD/DTS-HD decoders to process.

You cannot pass the new formats over optical or coax. Only HDMI or analog audio outs.

As of right now I am passing the new formats over analog to my pre-amp, until HDMI pre-amps become more common I will stick to what I have got.

Just to add from what I've read 1.3 has a totally different connector? :rolleyes:

No its the same. HDMI 1.3 has the option of using a smaller connector for small/ portable gear. The HDMI 1.3 port on my PS3 looks the same and uses the same cable's as my current HDMI gear.

HDMI 1.3 Or Bust...

When I do go for HDMI, it will be all HDMI 1.3 all the way, which means a new HT processor, source and monitor (front projector). I plan on accomplishing this in the next 3 - 5 years, finances being as they are... :D

I was under the impression that HDMI 1.3 would handle HDCP and AKE copy protection schemes differently, thus obseleting hardware that used previous versions of HDMI.
Makes me wonder...cable companies make boucoup money from us HT folks....lots of expensive cables behind all of that equipment. Will they still be happy when we now only need one cable (albeit in a daisy chain fashion) to connect it all together?

Tj

Lord of the Cables

Three Cables for Component Video or Composite plus sound destined to die,
Six Cables for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic, SACD, and DVD-A doomed to be outdated.
Eight Cables for DD EX, DTS ES, Logic 7, TrueHD, and Master Audio with their confusing naming conventions.
Two for Stereo which STILL kicks ass.
One for the Dark Lords Sony and Toshiba called HDMI
In the Land of Home Theater where the Shadows lie.
One Cable to rule them all, One Cable to find them,
One Cable to bring them all and behind the equipment rack bind them

Last edited:
VERY GOOD!

That was on one of the HD channels the other night. I think it was Return of the King.

Lord of the Cables

Six Cables for Dolby Digital, DTS, Pro-Logic, SACD, and DVD-A doomed to be outdated.
Eight Cables for DD EX, DTS ES, Logic 7, TrueHD, and Master Audio with their confusing naming conventions.

Lord of the Cables

and a partridge in a pair tree. :p

Lord of the Cables

This is too funny.....

I love those dancing bananas, Joe. They remind me of a fellow I went to school with (!)

Tj

Too Funny...

Lord of the Cables

:D Brilliant! :D I Love it... :D Classic... :D

The dancing nannners are so talented. Have you noticed they're always in step with each other and never miss a beat? They must practice when we're looking at other websites.

Back