HDMI cables / Worth extra cost?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used monprice hdmi cable and found the quality to be utter garbage and would never buy from them again. The cable connectors are held together by cheap glue and cant take any heat. Why not try these MIT hdmi cables because the build quality is great but its a little stiff

http://www.mitcablesexpress.com/ind...tegory_id=107&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

I have loads of hdmi cables and I have never noticed a huge difference in quality but Have noticed a little less noise in the picture when using MIT. The MIT hdmi cable is the short one of the bunch so this may be why its cleaner ?

I have used monorpice hdmi cables in numerous lengths (from 25 feet down to 1-2 ft hdmi extension cables). I have never had any problem. Since HDMI is digital, artifacts don't show up as "noise", you start getting isolated "sparkles" first and then the entire signal is lost. If you aren't seeing artifacts or complete signal drop then technically there should be no difference. You can't beat monoprice's price and they have an excellent return policy if there is any problem. Unlike analog cables, I would not spend significant money on the cable. Also, if you plan on a short run (6 ft or less) the brand is going to make no difference as signal degradation to the point of no recovery usually only happens with longer runs of over 10 ft or more. I have no problems with my 25 ft run to my projector.

Sorry gents I did not mean that the picture quality of the cables was not good because they are fine

Here is the problem I have is that the metal connector to the plastic sleeve is crap and will come loose if tugged on the wrong way. Another thing I noticed was when the cable was plugged into an onkyo receiver the tension and heat would loosen the connection and the glue would fail. I have went through a lot of the monoprice cables and they are very fragile and cheaply constructed

Weird. All the Monoprice cables I've bought seem to have decent quality. The only ones I thought were cheapo were the regular toslink optical cables (premium ones were over built), they were really thin but otherwise worked fine. If anything I find some of the cables too stiff. My 25 foot HDMI cable from them is quite beefy.

Weird. All the Monoprice cables I've bought seem to have decent quality. The only ones I thought were cheapo were the regular toslink optical cables (premium ones were over built), they were really thin but otherwise worked fine. If anything I find some of the cables too stiff. My 25 foot HDMI cable from them is quite beefy.

Actually, good point - I've only purchased the premium versions of every cable I've ordered from MP... so it could well be that the standard versions are more on the junky side. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back