Have you ever heard a digital recording meet or exceed an analog recording?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is another aspect of this debate that needs consideration. Some of you make your comparisons with what I will call "hot stampers" or vinyl copies that are the cream of the crop. There is a HUGE variation in manufacturing quality in vinyl, with the earliest copies from a given stamper, from an early mother off a near virgin master being the best, and later copies degrading, sometimes considerably. It's like a game of roulette, sometimes you win big, sometimes you win small and sometimes you loose...with everything in between.

Buying a black pizza often resembles what Forrest Gump said...like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get. Some of you may enjoy that challenge and the "thrill of the hunt" for the best disc possible, however, many of us just want to enjoy the music.

The advantage goes to CDs in the consistency that is achievable in the manufacturing arena, and, for most of us it is huge. Given equal quality mastering, you stand a much better chance getting a good copy of a CD than a good black pizza.

If someone here on the ML forum (member A) gets really excited about a given recording (from a hot stamper) , and the rest of us run out an buy it, the chances are that only a few (if any) of us will have the same auditory experience as member A.

I don't revive this thread to kick the hornet's nest, but hopefully to generate more discussion on the bolded statement below. It happens to reflect my opinion about what I see as the major issue with investing in an analog rig. I am beginning to educate myself what it takes to add an analog setup to my existing digital setup, so I am interested in more opinions on this point. I have heard some really great analog setups (thanks Dave aka twitch), but I think the bolded statement above is very true and gives me pause about going down this road. My main interest in analog is to access music that is not available on any digital format and is not likely to become available as such any time in the future.

Anthony, thanks for the kind words !

As a self proclaimed analog junkie I agree (to a point) with Jerry's statement, but I will say that with the likes of Chad Kassem's newest venture with Blue Heaven Studios as well as others there is plenty of great vinyl to be had. Remember most of us analog nuts have far more $$ wrapped up in our LP's to begin with and I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I have many a recording both in digital and analog.

As I have stated many times before BOTH formats can excel and BOTH can fall short !

Anthony, in so far as your intrest in aquiring music that supposedly is not in a digital format I think you would need to consider just how much it is that you want to acquire. If we're talking hundreds of LP's that are attainable and in good shape then an analog front end has merit.

BTW, how did you make out @ Derek's listening to his new CLX's.........wish I could have made it !

Back