Have to make do w/odd shape room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon,

I have a very large cabinet between my speakers. I made panels for the sides and front of the cabinet. The front panels I have to move when using the HT setup but it is well worth the effort. If your source and preamp are right there is will make it a bit more difficult but that is just the sacrifice we make for our cause, right?

The panels made a very noticeable difference in the clarity of the sound image and depth of stage I'm sure due to not having reflections from the hard surface of wood at listening height.

I made 2'x2', 2'x4' and 2'x6' panels from 2" thick Owens Corning 705 full range absorbing fiberglass and wrapped the panels in fabric. I first used these on the sides and front of the cabinet. When it was obvious what a difference it made I added 2'x6' panels behind my CLS's, at first reflection on side walls and two 2'x6' panels on the wall directly behind my listening chair that is against the back wall that previously suffered from some ugly bass reflections/interaction (as you would expect) even though I have 90" tall bass traps in all four corners of the room. The panels behind me make it dead silent to my ears when setting there.

Do try some type of absorbing material around the cabinet to see if you want to invest the money in better panels for there. I'm sure it will be worth it.

Back