Hasta la Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's like watching (reading) an episode of 60 minutes.

I have a co-worker who just recently purchased a lap-top with Vista already installed. He was also disappointed in the performance as Vista appeared to be top heavy. Kind of like owning a sports car with only winding roads to drive on. Car feels great but just can't drive fast enough. :confused:

FYI-

sports cars are meant to be driven on winding roads. Last time I checked if you want to go fast in a straight line get a drag car.

FYI-

sports cars are meant to be driven on winding roads. Last time I checked if you want to go fast in a straight line get a drag car.

Yes, that's definitely the wrong analogy. I love to take the Mercedes SLK 320 on a hilly, windy road. That's when it really shows it's abilities. On a flat straightaway, it is fast but relatively boring.

A better analogy would be having a sports car in downtown traffic. ;)

FYI-

Yes, that's definitely the wrong analogy. I love to take the Mercedes SLK 320 on a hilly, windy road. That's when it really shows it's abilities. On a flat straightaway, it is fast but relatively boring.

...Or a Ford stuck in 1st gear on a super highway. Anyone else?? :D :D

I prefer more open race tracks or big time sweeper corners for the 928's! They LOVE those kinds of roads... they are pretty good in a straight line too, but if the road it too tight they can understeer a bit more than you want. Of course w/ the manual you can induce some nice oversteer, OR if you know that is the kind of road/track work you are going to do you can set the suspension up to be a little bit looser! LOVE IT MAN!!! :devil:

I prefer more open race tracks or big time sweeper corners for the 928's! They LOVE those kinds of roads... they are pretty good in a straight line too, but if the road it too tight they can understeer a bit more than you want. Of course w/ the manual you can induce some nice oversteer, OR if you know that is the kind of road/track work you are going to do you can set the suspension up to be a little bit looser! LOVE IT MAN!!! :devil:

maybe if you had someone that REALLY understood suspension geometry the car would handle how you want.;)

maybe if you had someone that REALLY understood suspension geometry the car would handle how you want.;)

I said that in my post dude! If you use the "stock" settings you get something that understeers quite a bit but has this cool tendency to passively keep you from crashing due to a slight throttle lift (they call it the Wiessach axle, and incorporated a version of it in the 993 and on 911's) when you are cornering a bit fast. My race car is set up nicely with very little understeer but not what I would call tail happy either... If I put those settings on the street cars they would feel a LOT better for the twisty stuff, BUT that would make them less stable for the high speed straight line/sweeper stuff the car was really designed to do... Now, JTWRace, if you are saying that you can get BOTH at the same time... I think that would be a heck of a trick in a 928!

I said that in my post dude! If you use the "stock" settings you get something that understeers quite a bit but has this cool tendency to passively keep you from crashing due to a slight throttle lift (they call it the Wiessach axle, and incorporated a version of it in the 993 and on 911's) when you are cornering a bit fast. My race car is set up nicely with very little understeer but not what I would call tail happy either... If I put those settings on the street cars they would feel a LOT better for the twisty stuff, BUT that would make them less stable for the high speed straight line/sweeper stuff the car was really designed to do... Now, JTWRace, if you are saying that you can get BOTH at the same time... I think that would be a heck of a trick in a 928!

Yes, I fully understand what you are saying...and yes, I'm saying I or someone like me could get both.

Yes, I fully understand what you are saying...and yes, I'm saying I or someone like me could get both.

COOL! One of these days I'll have to send a 928 to you to play with. One thing we see ALL the time w/ 928's is the "alignment shop" jacks the car up, puts his gear on the wheels and starts setting it up. He does each item one at a time and is done. After that the car drives like crap and wears out the front tires in about 2k miles. IF you jack the car up then you have to WINCH it back down (it will be standing on its tip toes as we say after it is back on the ground) to make the adjustments and the way the suspension on that car works, you have to loosen each thing you want to set and then go to one, then check all the others (each one changes the other) and then go back and tweak a little more. Then when ALL the settings are right tighten them ALL up and check ONE MORE TIME! I have seen guys that have done dozens of 928 alignments (and that is a lot for one person to have done too!) take as much as 3 hours to do one!!! They are CRAZY complex cars, but they are so damn fun!!!

COOL! One of these days I'll have to send a 928 to you to play with. One thing we see ALL the time w/ 928's is the "alignment shop" jacks the car up, puts his gear on the wheels and starts setting it up. He does each item one at a time and is done. After that the car drives like crap and wears out the front tires in about 2k miles. IF you jack the car up then you have to WINCH it back down (it will be standing on its tip toes as we say after it is back on the ground) to make the adjustments and the way the suspension on that car works, you have to loosen each thing you want to set and then go to one, then check all the others (each one changes the other) and then go back and tweak a little more. Then when ALL the settings are right tighten them ALL up and check ONE MORE TIME! I have seen guys that have done dozens of 928 alignments (and that is a lot for one person to have done too!) take as much as 3 hours to do one!!! They are CRAZY complex cars, but they are so damn fun!!!

It is almost impossible to PROPERLY align a car in 3 hrs. Whenever I used to do the Ferrari's I always booked it as a day when starting from scratch. That's what it takes to do it right. I don't really understand what you are saying as standing on its tip toes....keep some stuff loose...It is a easy thing to do with the proper equipment & most important knowledge. Which is usually the problem. I never use a alignment rack for any type of racecar. They are very inaccurate for what you are trying to do. Most of the time, the biggest problem you have is the stiction in the suspension. Whether it's the rubber bushings or the BJ. You need to roll the car and shake it. I'm not going to go into a lesson here but quality takes time and it cost money. My average raceprep alignment was $600. That is after all the race prep work was complete. That is the "alignment". Forgot one thing, when you say it would wear the tires out in 2,000 miles. That is part of the front geo that people just don't understand. Whenever you lower a car (from stock) with the stock suspension you get much different camber gains, bump steer etc. The factory settings are just that so the tires will last 20,000 on a sports car. Last, these settings will reduce premature wear on all the components that are critical for saftey i.e. upright, BJ...

Last edited:
It is almost impossible to PROPERLY align a windows PC in 3 hrs. Whenever I used to do the HP pavillions I always booked it as a day when starting from scratch. That's what it takes to do it right. I don't really understand what you are saying as standing on its tip toes....keep some stuff loose...It is a easy thing to do with the proper equipment & most important knowledge. Which is usually the problem. I never use a system CD for any type of pc. They are very inaccurate for what you are trying to do. Most of the time, the biggest problem you have is the stiction in the drivers. Whether it's the register bushings or the needed BJ (sic). You need to roll the PC and shake it. I'm not going to go into a lesson here but quality takes time and it cost money. My average startup ritual was $600. That is after all the driver prep work was complete. That is the "alignment". Forgot one thing, when you say it would wear the FAT out in 2,000 files. That is part of the front geo that people just don't understand.

Last edited:
Back