Harshness in music with Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How does your amp do at 1 ohm? The Vantage gets down pretty low in impedence for the high frequency regions?

Joel

My guess is room acoustics.

ESL's can energize mid and high-frequency room modes much more than single dynamic tweeters can.

The only fix is to either lower the level or start a serious speaker placement and room treatment regimen.

But, when well treated, you will have sound no box speaker can touch.

What are your room dimensions and where are your speakers located?

Thank you for everyone's reply!
I have finally got down to contacting my dealer, who has kindly brought his showroom pair of Vantages down to do an A/B comparison with my speakers. Instantly the difference was audible, the showroom piece was smooth and clear at loud volumes, while mine started to distort.

Thus the problems indeed lie with the speakers, but the strange thing is that both left and right speakers have the same problem. The dealer has brought mine back to investigate the problem, while being very nice and leaving the showroom pair for me to enjoy.

Once they have found out the defect in my speakers, I will post here again!

I have just gotten my speakers back from the dealer and guess what, the problem did lie in my speakers.
Apparently the circuit board accepting the speaker input and power cable got overdrive or something, but there is no visible damage/burn according to my dealer. So they swapped it for a new board (both speakers) and my sound is back to what it should be, clean and distortion free.

Strange that both speakers failed at the same time, so either its a manufacturing error, or somehow I managed to fry both speakers, but honestly I always switch off my amp before handling speaker cables, and I don't remember any power surges, nor do I blast my speakers, so the cause still remains a mystery.

I hope it doesn't happen again!

And THANKS to everyone who has posted in this thread, this is a wonderful community which makes ownership of Martin Logans so so much better!

Glad to hear you finally got the problem resolved. Sounds like you got some pretty good service from your dealer as well.
Now you can kick back with a Tiger Beer and some Chili crab and enjoy! (actually I prefer the Pepper Crab)

Mike

Similar problem

I think I'm starting to have a similar problem especially with one of the speaker. I will contact the dealer to take a look.

I'm sorry to hear your having trouble. What is most interesting is that both you guys have the same problem and one guy is from Hong Kong and the other from Singapore. I haven't been there in many, many years but I'm wondering if there may be a power issue? Something just does not sound right here. No pun intended. Does ML prepare speakers electrically for overseas sales differently than state side?

Gordon

I wonder that seeing you guys are both from overseas, if there was perhaps a critical resistor or something that succumbed to the additional humidity from being in a shipping container for a long period of time.

That's my best Columbo for the day!

Glad your speakers are back online....

Looking at Maniax initial post, the problem is quite similar - piano and female vocal. I think the problem is there all along but since the Vantage does highlight bad/distorted recordings, I was thinking/hoping that it was just the recording itself.

It was not until I heard the loud passage of http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4409 (track1 - around 8min) that I'm sure the distortion is real.

Confirmed the problem with local Martin Logan dealer and they are ordering the parts. Hopefully it won't take too long.

What parts are they ordering to correct your problem?

From the very kind gentlemen of ML, MR Jim Power:

"If there is a persistent distortion as you describe, especially noticeable in the piano range, then the DEC circuit portion of the speaker has failed. The DEC is integral to the small power supply circuit board. You will need to simply replace the power supply board.

Your Martin Logan dealer can assist you with this matter.

To help them to order the correct part, here is what to ask for:

BCFS7HV

Below is a rather large view of the board.

I have also attached the extremely detailed procedure for replacement. Feel free to forward this file on to your local dealer as they may not have the most current version. It will be very helpful to them to have this information.

I am certain that this will resolve the problem. It would be helpful to your dealer if you give them the SN# of your speakers (including the first 4 letters)."

Vantage Power Supply Replacement document:
http://www.box.net/shared/54skd7v5sy

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 480
Finally got the circuit board replace. They also replaced both panels as well because they are making some clicking noise.

Jeff, enjoyed your CLX review at TONE Audio Magazine. Perhaps I shall upgrade :D

Good luck with all the re-outfitting bsckwan!

I've had my Vantage's for just over a month, and as of yet, I haven't been able to get a TRACE of sibilance out of them... not even on the worst of recordings. In fact, they may be the smoothest loudspeaker I've ever had in this space.

:rocker:

More Problems

Just notice one of the Vantage is louder then the other. :mad: I've switch the speakers around just to make sure it isn't my amplifier. Anyone experience this type of problem?

I had a similar problem. My light on the Vantage went out. It was determined to be the power supply. I got it in the mail pretty fast, along with excellent step by step instructions via email.

It takes 45-90 minutes to replace, depending on how good you are with a screw driver.

If this is what you have, it's a fairly simple solution.

The funny thing is that I've recently got both power supply board replaced - refer to the previous threads. Ok...back to the dealer it goes!

I have a new pair of Spires and I have experienced harshness at
times ( ouch), mostly when listening
to my Rotel HD tuner but also
on CD occasionally on older rock recordings. My electronics are
Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and A5 CD. Before buying the Spires
i sold a Classe Cap151 integrated. It was a little mellower than the
A5...wish i still had it to try with the Spires. I bought the A5 to
run with my PBN Montana EPS2s (which are not bright in any way,
shape or form) and the MF provided additional liveliness and mates
well with the Montanas. Recently i swapped out the stock power
cords on my amp, cd, and tuner with some Audio Magic Xstreams
and plugged all my equipment into my Monster power center. This
seems to have tamed the harshness substantially. The Spires
can sound stunning on well recorded music, but they aren't
as forgiving as the EPS2s (fantastic dynamic speakers by the way).
I can now listen to the Spires for long periods of time without
listener fatigue. I only listen at moderate to moderately loud
levels, though. I have about 100 -150 hours on them.

Try playing back music with piano or female vocal to test whether there are any distortion with those speakers. If not, they should be fine.

I have a new pair of Spires and I have experienced harshness at
times ( ouch), mostly when listening
to my Rotel HD tuner but also
on CD occasionally on older rock recordings. My electronics are
Musical Fidelity A5 integrated and A5 CD. Before buying the Spires
i sold a Classe Cap151 integrated. It was a little mellower than the
A5...wish i still had it to try with the Spires. I bought the A5 to
run with my PBN Montana EPS2s (which are not bright in any way,
shape or form) and the MF provided additional liveliness and mates
well with the Montanas. Recently i swapped out the stock power
cords on my amp, cd, and tuner with some Audio Magic Xstreams
and plugged all my equipment into my Monster power center. This
seems to have tamed the harshness substantially. The Spires
can sound stunning on well recorded music, but they aren't
as forgiving as the EPS2s (fantastic dynamic speakers by the way).
I can now listen to the Spires for long periods of time without
listener fatigue. I only listen at moderate to moderately loud
levels, though. I have about 100 -150 hours on them.

those speakers are barely broken in yet.

Back