Hardwood floors and spikeless speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
Hi, all. We are going to put hardwood floors in the living/listening room in a few months, and I am gradually putting felt or plastic pads on the bottoms of all of the furniture. (I happened to be at a Lowe's today, so I picked up some of these.) I've been used to using spikes with my various speakers, and I wondered if those of you with non-carpeted flooring stick with the stock ML feet (the ones on Summits, in my case) or if you've found that you prefer something else.

who is doing the work? I know a lot of the big contractors there in Maryland.

What you need are the discs that take spikes. You can always use pads or flat feet. The size is universal

Coins under the spikes do well. Seriously though, you should consider at least a big rug that covers the area between the speakers and your listening postion. It is probably the best room treatment/acoustic thing you can do.

Try Soundcare Superspikes. Highly recommended and floor-safe solution, i have them under my equipment racks.

listen first and see what you prefer. An environment with hardwood floors can tend to sound a little harsh and lean, so you might prefer the tonal character of your speakers on the rounded feet better....

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's interesting to hear what you have to say. 'Much obliged. A few quick responses:

The work is being done by a subcontractor of our main contractor (CWC), so I can't remember their name. I have seen their work elsewhere, however, and it seemed first rate. Believe it or not, I already bought the Karastan rug that will go in the room. A local store had a good sale a few days ago, so I jumped on it. It will cover the entire space between the speakers and the sofa. In fact, if I wanted I could easily put the speakers on the back end of the rug. I wouldn't use the spikes, however, since they would still be likely to scratch the new floor. I have seen people in similar situations place their spiked speakers on, for example, wood blocks--or even bolt them to wood stands--but I didn't know if this kind of thing was in any way preferable to just using the standard Summit (flat!) feet.

This room is going to be beautiful once it's all put together. All the furniture is Stickley mission in Onondaga finish. Like a lot of you, I have had to make some compromises since this is not a dedicated listening room. I will have bookshelves behind the speakers, but they are open (no glass doors, in other words, which look nice but are a sonic no-no) and will house LPs and books. In my experience, this works as a pretty decent background to these speakers, absorbing and dispersing the back wave fairly well. Yes, I realize that it is not perfect, but there is no way that my wife was going to agree to not using that wall space for anything but sound-absorbing/dispersing panels. Also, there is really nowhere else to put hundreds of LPs without them being in the way.

None of this is going to be ready for some time, but I'll submit system pics once it is all in place. 'Going to be very, very cozy. 'Just wish I had a fireplace in the same room...

Best wishes,
Craig

you should consider at least a big rug that covers the area between the speakers and your listening postion. It is probably the best room treatment/acoustic thing you can do.

I 2nd that! Thats how I have mine. Works wonders! :music:

I have an interesting little twist on this whole subject. Saturday night I was playing Blue Man Group at high volume, and let me tell you the Summits can deliver in all regards when it comes to drums, slam, depth and PRAT were all there.

Yesterday, (Sunday) when I was cleaning up from the night before I noticed my Summits had walked out of position. I have some blue tape on the floor to mark where they go for twaeking and cleaning purposes. Both had walked about 2" off their marks in opposite directions. I don't think tyhis would have happened with spikes.

Are you sure those weren't the speaker Gremlins that come out at night and move them ever so slightly just to SEE if your up on things. They are sneaky creatures ;) They migrate South from Michigan when its cold !

There are several pucks or cups that have a thin rubber pad. It stops creep but at a cost sometimes. If you want, try some clear silicone under the pad foot and let it set up. ( Its easily removed after the bond has broke) . OR you can have stock in blue tape and have your floor look like its been walked on with golf spikes:ROFL:.(Not that I would know that ) Seriously I have spiked into my wood floors(remember I am a wood floor professional) It doesn't leave huge holes. I have areas in my floor that you could not even tell it was spiked. Untill you walk by and twist your ankle!:ROFL:

Back