Happy Father's Day!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon

Reaction score
I'd like to wish all of you fathers a Happy Father's Day! King for a day!!

Gordon

Yes indeed Gordon ! same wishes here as well.

Father's Day

I had a nice long phone conversation with my father today... We didn't discus music at all, but while talking with him I thought incidentally about my beloved stereo.

I tend to pace about my apartment when on the phone, and as I was talking with my dad I wandered into the room containing the two channel system I've spent three years and lots of money (lots to to me, anyway) building. It occurred to me that if the old man had been in the room with me rather than on the phone three states away, he'd have a real hard time appreciating the half-dozen components, Martin Logan speakers, and criminally-overpriced wires that dominate half the room, and which ultimately do the same job as the mini Sony shelf system in his den.

If he asked why so many metal boxes were necessary, I could justify all the equipment with the boilerplate "reproducing music as though it were live" spiel, but this man has heard Judy Collins, Dizzy Gillespie, The Band, Tina Turner, Leonard Cohen, Leo Kottke, Joni Mitchel, The Rolling Stones, Dire Straits, Townes Van Zandt, Miles Davis, &c. play live. I mean, come on.

I'm 31 years old; I think if I touted my sound system to my dad right now, he would listen carefully to my enthusiastic inventorying and respond with the same gentle, wise incredulity he offered on the day I stood in front of him when I was 15 years old, weighed 125 pounds, stood 5'8", was uncoordinated, slow, suburban-soft, not yet shaving, and declared that I wanted to become a professional boxer.

Clay

Back