Greetings from KY!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:welcome:

this is a great place to learn. enjoy the music.

Great resource

This is a great place for resources. ML customer service is great too! What amp/preamp are you running your ML's with?

I am located just South of you in Somerset, the lake humidity makes my cables sound better.

This is a great place for resources. ML customer service is great too! What amp/preamp are you running your ML's with?

I am located just South of you in Somerset, the lake humidity makes my cables sound better.

I have a Parasound 2125 driving my new speakers.

About 3 years ago I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 70s along with a new receiver to replace a JVC system I had owned since the 80s. I couldn't believe the difference in sound with that upgrade. I'm sitting here listening to my new Prefaces(?) and feeling the same way all over again. I can't wait until they're broken in. I disconnected my subwoofer - don't need it any more.:rocker:

how big is your room? your about the third person with these speakers to say they ditched the sub after getting them. i still use mine as i must either be a "basshead" or possibly its my room size, but i want more warmth than im getting with the preface alone.

I disconnected my subwoofer - don't need it any more.

First off.....Welcome !

Second..... after you have become 'audibly comfortatable' with your subless setup, put it back in the mix, if for nothing more than filling in the bottom octave. Then let us know what you think / hear.

how big is your room? your about the third person with these speakers to say they ditched the sub after getting them. i still use mine as i must either be a "basshead" or possibly its my room size, but i want more warmth than im getting with the preface alone.

The room is approximately 15 x 45. I'm only using a third of it for listening area. My speakers are about 7 feet apart and 1.5 feet off the wall. My couch sits about 9 feet from there.

Keep in mind what I'm used to hearing. The Polks were decent speakers but didn't have the range these do - nor the soundstage.

Another Kentuckian

Great to see some members from Wildcat country!! I grew up in London, Ky. and used to drive 45 minutes to Richmond for a beer run. Laurel County was dry back then. Ah the memories.

Been living with my SL3's since 1997 and they have never sounded better till I went with a tube preamp and tube amplifiers.

Good luck and enjoy the Prefaces

I had the house to myself this morning - excellent opportunity to jam! I put Pink Floyd - Momentary Lapse Of Reason, King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King, Joe Satriani - Not Of This Earth and The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta in the tray and hit play.

As a rule of thumb - I don't listen to a lot of loud music anymore because of the hearing damage done as a guitarist during the '80s. It's not major but enough to concern me at 46.

I hit the Pure Direct button on the remote, sat back, closed my eyes and pressed the volume up button. For the next two hours I got lost in the music. Without knowing it - I had turned the Denon (being used as a pre) up to -2.0 dB. I don't remember ever turning it up that much. (Usually -15.0 dB is hitting 80dB on my SPL meter with pink noise playing which is a fairly decent listening level for me.) I would never have been able to do that with the Monitor 70s. Somewhere around the -10dB range they would begin to harden. The mid and bass frequencies were fine (though not as full) but the higher frequencies would feel like they were cutting your head off. The Polks had a bit of a hollow sound to them. Not bad, but enough that my 16 year old daughter would comment on it. (When I bought them - the Monitors were Polk's "introductory" speakers.)

If these are Martin Logan's "low end" speakers - I can't imagine what their "high end" speakers must sound like. There was no headache after the listening session. The highs were smooth, mids and bass were full and well balanced. The soundstage was - enveloping. Each instrument and vocal had a place. Even now with the volume down and the Loudness Control on - I'm digging these speakers. H**l - even XM is listen-able.

The downside? I had to get in my car and listen to that stereo for the rest of the day. lol

I'd like to add that I am in no way knocking Polk speakers. I have (4) S4s (2 per channel) in my bedroom that sound absolutely wonderful and have never had any complaints about the Monitors. I use the Polks as a point of reference simply because they are the only base I have to refer to. In this particular instance the Prefaces just happen to out-perform the Monitors.

I am, however, knocking the stereo in my car.

As always - YMMV. :rocker:

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "low end" when speaking about ML. Perhaps "entry level" would be more appropriate. Hold on to your hat, the ride from here only gets better!!:D

Gordon

Welcome! I see you've fallen right into the thick of it with your new Logans, that's great and what a feeling it is too!

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is one of my favorite recordings to play on Logans. You may also want to give Pink Floyd's Division Bell, any ELP (My favs - Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery), Genesis - Duke & A Trick of the Tail a spin.

I listen to mostly progressive music, rock or jazz and find a lot of differences between recordings. Logans are really great for bringing out the realism of a great recording. Vocals, piano and solo or duet instrument recordings are awe inspiring as well.

Today I am spinning Dire Straits Brothers in Arms CD, Rush Snakes and Arrows LP, Hemispheres CD, and Yes Tales from Topographic Oceans LP. That's just a start for now, I have no idea where I'll end up later today...

Good luck with your Logans and welcome into the forum!

glad your liking the prefaces, i know i do. whats the specs of your amp? im only feeding mine 150w right now and i do hear it straining at med-high volumes. im curious what your feeding it and what you think.

ready for the sub to be back in the system yet?;)

also please take pics and post your system in the members system section. looking forward to seeing it!

glad your liking the prefaces, i know i do. whats the specs of your amp? im only feeding mine 150w right now and i do hear it straining at med-high volumes. im curious what your feeding it and what you think.

ready for the sub to be back in the system yet?;)

also please take pics and post your system in the members system section. looking forward to seeing it!

I'm using a Parasound 2100 preamp with a Parasound 2125 power amp (200 wpc into 4 ohms). I haven't gone any higher than the 1 o'clock position with the volume control. At that setting - the system is insanely loud (and incredibly clear).

Still no subwoofer. The bass control on the 2100 seems to have a fairly low frequency curve. I have it set at around the 1 o'clock position which gives just enough boost to fill the bottom end without muddying anything up - even at high volume.

I did an A/B with the sub (tone controls bypassed) and without the sub (bass at 1 o'clock). I can't tell much of a difference between the two.

Last edited:
excellent. i cant wait for more power. who knows maybe ill ditch the sub too.

I'm using a Parasound 2100 preamp with a Parasound 2125 power amp (200 wpc into 4 ohms). I haven't gone any higher than the 1 o'clock position with the volume control. At that setting - the system is insanely loud (and incredibly clear).

Still no subwoofer. The bass control on the 2100 seems to have a fairly low frequency curve. I have it set at around the 1 o'clock position which gives just enough boost to fill the bottom end without muddying anything up - even at high volume.

I did an A/B with the sub (tone controls bypassed) and without the sub (bass at 1 o'clock). I can't tell much of a difference between the two.

Hey Eddie, thanks for the Vintage Pioneer SA-950 Integrated Amp!! Loving it in the bedroom. Watta coicidence, huh? Both buying Prefaces within a month of each other, living 30 miles apart, and joining the club :music:

The SA-950 will have to do until I save enough money for a real 200+ watt mamma jamma :p

I hate this audio fever; I am lurking Craig's list and all the other bargain, swap, sale sites for stuff all day every day.

Just kidding, I love it :D

Hey Eddie, thanks for the Vintage Pioneer SA-950 Integrated Amp!! Loving it in the bedroom. Watta coicidence, huh? Both buying Prefaces within a month of each other, living 30 miles apart, and joining the club :music:

The SA-950 will have to do until I save enough money for a real 200+ watt mamma jamma :p

I hate this audio fever; I am lurking Craig's list and all the other bargain, swap, sale sites for stuff all day every day.

Just kidding, I love it :D

Hey Fareed! It dawned on me today that I ought to send you an email telling you about this site. Looks like I'm too late. lol!

I'm glad you like the ol' Pioneer. It'll do fine until something better comes your way. If I hear of anything - I'll be sure to pass it along.

Back