Greetings and here is my first post/questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanD

Reaction score
For those who missed my intro post, I have spent the past couple days looking at all of your systems, and I mean all of them. WOW is my only response. That and I have a lot to learn.

So lets start with my first questions which is directed at things I have never seen before.

Wire stands? I see some people using stands to hold their speaker wire off the ground. What is that supposed to accomplish?

Next is what I am lead to believe are called isolation stands? I have seen them on all sorts of equipment on this site from PS3's to sub woofers. Can someone give me the run down? Is this the same thing as the hockey puck method I read about on here last night? Might I say that is a really cool idea!

I am sure I saw some other things too, one is about DIY acoustic panels but I am sure a thread exists about that already so Ill look for it. I am on like brain overload right now haha so when I think of my other questions Ill come back but thank you guys and gals for any wisdom you can give me.

Some folks use cable elevators/stands to purportedly eliminate floor/carpet interactions (?? static, dielectric effects). Likewise, some swear by the use of "isolation" devices (hockey pucks, wood blocks, other composite absorption feet, special high-end racks with suspension systems, etc). It's controversial how much (if any) improvement such "tweaks" provide, but regardless, there are far more CRITICAL things to focus on first- namely getting the speaker placement and room acoustics right, along with your choice of sources and amps (not to mention speaker cables/interconnects). There is a treasure trove of both good (and mis) information on this board, and elsewhere. I suggest spending some time surfing the net, and getting a basic audiophile education, before worrying about final "tweaks". BTW, a very useful resource is Jim Smith's book... Get Better Sound (which addresses the basics, as well as some of those tweaks).

Jordan,

Alan is spot on regarding priorities. Once you've got the speakers in the right place (take your time and have fun) and room acoustics resolved to your comfort level, time to play with wire, isolation devices, etc. The former should allow you to hear the latter more clearly. Once your system gets to a certain point of transparency, you will be amazed how you can decipher the sonic impact of the smallest change. That's all part of enjoying this great hobby.

Best and good luck,

GG

Thank you guys! I understand. I have a pretty good foundation of knowledge in the audio world. I pretty much have my future system mapped out and in what order I will be buying the equipment in. I was just curious about all these new things I never knew existed. I am always looking to learn more about this "way of life" haha. Since we all like to talk about our system here are my plans.

Since I currently do not have any martin logans I will be buying a piar of Vantages with Bubinga cabinet and aluminum air frame, and a Bubinga Depth i. I will be using a Marantz SR7005 for the amp (at least at first then Ill be using is at a pre). Ill be using AQ CV-8 speaker wire, AQ Sub-3, AQ Columbia for the L/R on the sub, AQ Vodka HDMI, and AQ NRG-4 replacement power chords. Ill be using a PS3 as a source (at first) and Xbox 360, finally Ill be using a Panamax 5300. This be my baseline system and Ill be building from there and I have that for the most part mapped out too.

Keep your eyes peeled while you're looking for the Vantages. Look in the classifieds here and on Audiogon. Even the occasional eBay search doesn't hurt. I caught a stupid amazing deal on my Summits by continually watching for a few months. You can do the same with a little patience.

ML's, being a higher end speaker, are normally meticulously maintained by their owners, and buying used becomes largely a non-issue. You can easily get yourself into a pair of used Spires for what you'd spend on a new set of Vantages.

Just food for thought...

I understand Batman, and thank you but there is a reason I need to buy new, otherwise Audiogon might the way I would choose to go.

Back