Greetings and Happy New Year From KO of NJ!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KO_the_Kid

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to all fellow ML audiophiles out there! I am an avid listener of Classical, Jazz, Blues and just about anything that sounds exciting and different. I love to explore our world through the talented interpretations of artists works from all genres.

I am listening to the world of sound and music through Martin Logan Sequel II's, bi-amped Aragon 4004 MKIIs, an AES AE-3 DJH Preamp rolled with Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boys" & Wadia 170i for my Ipod. I have been enjoying the system, but have yet to achieve audio nirvana yet, because of my main front end digital source, a panasonic dvd player.

Now, after everybody has received their christmas, its time for me to get my gift of joy and I am looking to replace my current front end to tweak the sound to the next level. I am looking for suggestions under $1K for cd players or a dac combination. What should I do? How would you invest your money into tweaking this system to the next level using these components? Oh and what about SACD or DVD-A?

Thanks.
KO the Kid from S. NJ :music:

Welcome to the club KO!

I'm using a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC in my system and love it. You can find it new for $699 from Audio Advisor or used on Agon for around $500. I use a Lexicon RT-20 as my main CDP, great for SACD.

A Rega Apollo would fit the bill. There are a couple on audiogon for $600.
Cheers, Greg

Definitely go for a DAC. A PS Audio (as mentioned above) or a Musical Fidelity will suit just nicely. Also the Cambridge Audio DACMagic.

Me? I'd spend up to your $1,000 budget and plug the DAC into your existing front end for now. Then you'll have the flexibility in the future to either upgrade the transport (why?) or invest in a music server like the Squeezebox. Something like the Squeezebox Touch (forthcoming) will allow you to play true high-rez files downloaded from the 'net.

Thanks Churchill for the info. I have been kicking around either the DAC you mentioned or Cambridge Audio's DACMAGIC then sourcing the inputs to a Wadia 170i, a mini PC music server, and perhaps a marantz/denon/pioneer/oppo universal player for transport(hence the dilema - trying to conserve $$$s). Anyway thanks again for the info. My wife still doesn't understand the complications of providing pristine audio, but she enjoys listeneing when the music is turned up and right for the moment. :)

Welcome 'KO', I've made many a 'pass' back in my day @ Atco !

nice set-up BTW with the Aragon's, hands down one of the best bargin SS amps of all time !

Welcome 'KO', I've made many a 'pass' back in my day @ Atco !

nice set-up BTW with the Aragon's, hands down one of the best bargin SS amps of all time !

Thanks Dave. I love the match of the Aragons with the MLs. It is pretty sweet. BTW, you have an awesome setup. I bet vinyl really sounds great with your system. How do you like your Rogue M-150 monoblocks on your ML Spires? How does the Tube compare with SS on the lowend response of the system? :bowdown:

Back