Great song and video: Hawaii Five-0, The Ventures

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tav1,

I have a vinyl copy of the original Hawaii Five-0 TV soundtrack. Composed, arranged & conducted by Morton Stevens. Along with the cool tv theme song there's awesome tunes like Beach Trip, The Floater, Operation Smash and McGarrett's Theme.

I recently found some great Ventures albums that ROCK! "Walk Don't Run" "Running Strong" and "The Ventures Play Telstar"... Didn't know Max Weinberg played with them but really, who hasn't he played with? :D

Love that old surf music like Dick Dale, Jerry Cole and his Spacemen, The Pyramids, The Chantays, The Belairs, The Surfaris, Link Wray, Jack Nitzsche, etc.

Satch

Didn't know Max Weinberg played with them but really, who hasn't he played with? :D

Winberg was "guesting" with them at their "30th Anniversary" performance in that clip. He was (and still is) a prolific studio musician. He's sort of like the "Kevin Bacon" of the music world... ;)

Love that old surf music like Dick Dale, Jerry Cole and his Spacemen, The Pyramids, The Chantays, The Belairs, The Surfaris, Link Wray, Jack Nitzsche, etc.

I love Dicky Dale and Link Wray. I have several pristine Link Wray LPs, and they have a very uniquely raw sound. Dick Dale is an astounding musician, and although his recordings are a treat, his live performances are mind-blowing.

Another of my favorites in the "rockabilly" and "surf music" genre is Bill Kirchen. He was the original guitarist for "Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen" and played lead on their version of/"Hot Rod Lincoln", but I think the version of "Hot Rod Lincoln" that he does is a LOT better, and it's DEFINITELY more funny, especially when he does the bit at the end where he is playing music for all the people who are "pulling over" so his car can "pass them by". I saw him once in Fairfax VA, and practically peed myself during this song, laughing so hard...

Kirchen is, IMO, the best electric guitarist currently alive--technically, creatively, and emotionally. His live performances are non-stop fun, and he has the ability to play in ANY style he wants. He used to live in Northern VA (now he lives in TX, I believe), and when I was living in NOVA in the '80's and '90's, I used to try and catch a Kirchen concert at least once a year. He often played tiny venues, and would come and stand at the bar between sets and chat with the audience. Now that he lives in TX, he doesn't get up to the Mid-Atlantic region much, and I really miss those concerts.

http://billkirchen.com/CrosstownArts/client_music/kirchen/index.html

--Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

Man, I'd forgotten about Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen! I watched that vid. Next time one of my guitar buddies starts thinking he's the kitties titties I'll send that Bill Kerchin vid to them. ha, ha...

I have a LP copy of Link Wray "White Lightning, Lost Cadence Sessions '58" from Sundazed # 142/1000... D.C. Surf Music :)

Lately I've been playing a lot of post WW II Chicago blues on my upright bass using Gut Strings. Going for that Willie Dixon, Big Crawford slap style. If it wasn't for rockabilly, that slap style might have been lost. What really got me interested in high end audio gear and Martin Logan speakers was trying to hear the upright bass lines of those old blues recordings. After listening to and studying that old school style of upright bass playing I started learning how the rockabilly guys were getting that cool bass tone and doing it live and loud WITHOUT getting feedback.

Oops, sorry for the rant Torry.

Satch

Ventures

As a kid growing up in the 60's, my older brother had a bunch of Ventures LPs, so I always like them. Most of the music you guys are talking about, I am not familiar with. Good stuff I'm sure. I'll have to check some of it out.
Torry

Back