Great Deal at BB

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes thanks for the tip. I sprung for the set. This should refresh my mind with their music. :rocker: ;)

Best Buy just cancelled my order of the box set. What's up with that. Any of you who ordered this get your order cancelled?

They cancelled my order because they said they had none of the boxsets available. Which I think is crap! They just don't want to honor their error in pricing if you ask me.

Yeah those schmucks canceled my order too. I am on hold with them now on the phone (waiting forever). They said mine was canceled because they were unable to verify my information. That is a load of BS. I agree, they don't want to honor the price. :mad:

I just got off the phone with them. The same response. They said since I called, they would honor the order at that price upon further investigation. I don't quite know what that all means. I will believe it when it's in the mail box.

I agree with the boycott statement.

Any way who is Sly and the Family Stone? :p I just thought it was a great deal and not pass it up. :D

Awesome!!

Dear Best Buy Customer,

Thank you for your recent Sly and the Family Stone Box Set order on BestBuy.com.

Due to a system error, the price of the item was incorrectly displayed. Therefore, we are unable to honor your order at the incorrect price. As a result, your order will be cancelled and you will not be charged for this item. If you used a Gift Card for this order and no longer have it, please call us toll free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) and we will send you a replacement. If you have any questions concerning our policies, please review the "Conditions of Use" which are found at www.bestbuy.com.

Because you are a valued customer, we would like to offer you a $10 Digital Coupon* toward a future purchase at www.bestbuy.com. Your coupon code is: 1fa9350ece33ecf33

Digital Coupons are easily redeemed when you shop online. Simply enter the 17-digit code listed above during checkout. We apply them to your purchases, up to the total purchase amount. The Digital Coupon must be used prior to the expiration date: June 8, 2007, at 11:59pm (CST). This offer is limited to one per customer, excludes gift cards, and is nontransferable. Please review full details below.

We look forward to your next visit to one of our stores or to www.bestbuy.com. Please do not hesitate to contact us with additional questions.

Thank you for your loyalty,
The Customer Care Team

My Above Post

It is so absurd that they would not honor their own price. Oh well no more shopping at Best Buy or Circuit City (they laid off all their high priced employees and replaced them with minimum wage workers.)

I have sent a couple of emails describing how I think BB should honor their mistake to no avail. They are not getting the message. Very poor business practices. They lost my business. :mad:

Anyone else have a different experience?

Anyone else have a different experience?

Maybe just a different point of view...and this is not intended to be directed at you, alone, Caerus...

Am I the only one who thinks Best Buy did an acceptable job? They made a pricing error; why do people feel obligated to a fire sale price because one person made an honest error. Because one employee in a large organization made a simple understandable error, almost everyone who has participated in this thread appears to feel obligated to an unreasonable low price on a product while, ironically, proclaiming they are "not taking advantage of the situation" because "I only bought one." Whether an attempt was made to purchase one or one hundred, a purchaser is still taking advantage of the situation; the quantity purchased (and thus feeling entitled to) is simply a measurement of the magnitude as to how much one is taking advantage of the situation.

Did Best Buy make a mistake? Yes, of course someone in the organization did...and another person in the organization apologized for the error and even offered to make ammends by offering a $10 credit that the purchaser would not have otherwise had. Frankly, I consider that a reasonable response. We're not talking about a life-and-death situation or even one of substantial financial consequence. An employee made an error and corporation fessed up and made a reasonable attempt at ammends given the magnitude of the error.

Why not accept the $10 credit and count yourself fortunate that you're $10 further ahead than you otherwise would be? Feeling entitled to more simply seems greedy to me.

As for swearing off a store over such an ordeal, if I were the proprietor of the store and had customers like the folks on this thread appear to be, I think I'd probably feel lucky you weren't patronizing my store any longer. It can't be good for business to have vultures trying to get something for nothing over a small clerical error and this, I would guess, is part of Best Buy management's calculus when they chose to offer $10 gift cards to the affected purchasers.

Dan,

With all do respect, you are missing a valuable point. First off, I did not think it was a pricing error when I ordered. Companies all the time blow out inventory for real cheap. For example, I just picked up a very nice leather jacket at Dillards for $30 that cost $300. Was I a greedy vulture b-turd? I think not. I also would not expect them to turn me a way and not be able to buy it at that price either. That would be called false advertising. That is what Best Buy did.

If BB would have up front admitted an error, I would have moved on. But the email to me said they could not place the order because of missing information. I double checked and all the information was there. So I called to remedy the situation. The customer service guy told me they were investigating the issue, but assured me I would have a placed order for the advertised price that I paid for when I placed my order. I checked my credit card statement and it indicated the transaction for said price, then later a credit. As you can see I have been essentially lied to. Maybe not initially intentional, but some body in the “chain of command” made false statements. Interesting BB told different stories to each of us here on why they can not place the order.

People buy from a person or company that they like and has a good reputation. I am perfectly within my right to not buy from a company that lies and tries to “cover up” an error. I just wish they were honest upfront and I would have respected BB for that.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but you do not know me or the other two guys in this post or all the circumstances surrounding this issue. I think it is very presumptuous to conclude we are taking advantage of BB and are greedy vultures. That is insulting of ones character and I do not appreciate that.

Brad

Just one clarification because I do not wish for this to turn in to an all-out flame war, but I do not believe our points of view are as irreconcilable as it may first seem...

While my words did not make it clear, my intention was not to pass judgement on any *person* and would not attempt to based on a few posts on the board, but instead comment on the actions and expectations in this specific case because there seemed to be sufficient information to comment. It was not clear to me initially from the previous discussion that Best Buy was dodging their responsibility, lying, misleading, or misrepresenting (aside from the initial mispricing). In the subsequent discussion, however, it sounds like there was some deception or at least the impression was left that the staff of Best Buy didn't make attempts to make good until after they were called on misleading or deceptive actions. If this is true, then I agree it changes the situation.

As for the "making good on a price" even if it is wrong policy. That is a courtesy that brick-and-mortar stores can MUCH more easily afford. Once the first guy comes up to my register for a $50 item incorrectly marked at $10, sure, in the name of customer service, I can let him get the $40 savings and then immeidately correct the price so only one item goes through for a total loss. What does an on-line store do, however, when hundreds of people place orders for the item and the error is not discovered by a human until someone walks in the next monring after their first cup of coffee and says, "Oh *^(&^(!!"? Is it reasonable to let an entire stock of hundreds of an item go for the incorrect price? Is it reasonable to have to place a backorder and get new items in to continue to distribute at the incorrect price? These were the questions I was thinking about in my reply and believed the initial expectation that Best Buy does this to "make good" to the dozens, hundreds, however many people was not reasonable and was not the same as letting just one guy go in a real brick and morter store. The cost is simply not containable in the on-line scenario, particularly after the error is posted on a web board and the masses decend.

As for misrepresenting the situation at first and saying there were problems with the way the customer placed the order (rather than only admitting after pressure that they made a pricing error), yeah, that's pretty crummy and certainly a legitimate reason to make a stink and take one's business elsewhere.

This is my last post on this thread because we have verged way off topic and, frankly, I'd rather get back to talking about how that CD sounds through our fine speakers!

WB,

I do not think you need to apologize for any rants. Your thoughts are right on target. I only question the original rant that started this and I hope it was a lessons learned experience.

As far as discussing let's talk about how this CD will sound on our systems, that will not be possible with BB. I would have paid the original asking price, but BB indicates none available. Oh well moving on, I will order that Doors CD instead. ;)

Brad

I think Dan hit the nail on the head here. If you look back at your first post, Wayne, you said that they were practically "giving it away" and you "don't know if it is a mistake" but you quickly ordered it and encouraged others to do so. There were obviously signs from the beginning that this may be a mistake on their part, and everybody started jumping on the bandwagon to take advantage of it. It shouldn't have been too surprising that Best Buy decided not to honor the price. No telling how many thousands of orders they got at the wrong price.

Now as to how Best Buy handled it from there, I agree that they really screwed up their customer relations. No matter the reason for the mistake, you don't lie to your customers about it. You suck it up and admit you made a mistake and you can't honor the price.

I have to say that I am glad that on this forum we can debate alternate points of view like this without getting into flame wars and name calling and I appreciate the participants of this thread keeping it civil. We all have different points of view and perspectives, and each of them has merit.

Brad, If your talking about The Doors Legacy set from Rich's review in the music review section,http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3991, I highly reccommend it.

Have been listening to it all week on my commute to work. There's only 2 tracks I skip over on Disc 2 otherwise start to finish set is great.

Picked up the set on Amazon.com for just $9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0985028-4944869?ie=UTF8&qid=1176622153&sr=8-1

That is the review I read and the album I will order. Thanks for the tip. I actually saw about twelve other CDs I want to get. Some hard to come by. Amazon seem to be a good source of music.

Brad

I think the FTC and your state's Consumer Affairs agency would like to hear about this. You might also try BBBOnline.

I agree Amazon is a great place to shop for music. OBTW, I have not been in BB since then either. So much for using their discount coupon. ;) Not!

Brad

Latest posts

Back