Encore TF - 200$ a good deal?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDFilms

Reaction score
Hi guys... its definitey been a while since I've been on here, but I couldn't stay away forever. I finally have a space that I can customize to my desire ($$$ willing) and have gotten back into the market at a time where 'deals' keep showing up.... though I'm unsure of the quality of these deals..

First off, the Encore TF speaker... I've been thinking of picking up 2-3 of these to use as a center channel and 2nd for near future to use as l/r rear surrounds... or if I got 3 to use as center and l/r rear surrounds...

The issue is that if I were to use the encore as center and l/r surround, when I make the switch up to 7.1 is it worth it to make all 4 of the surrounds the same speaker? or is it okay to have the surrounds to the side different from that of the rear, but keep those 2 the same?

Or should I just go ahead and pick up 4 of the encore... I haven't had a chance to listen to them in person, but I have yet to read a bad review of them.

I suppose a key point of information is that I've found them for 199$ with free shipping on a very popular web retailer's site.

Another thing to throw into the mix is amps... as of right now i'm planning on starting up with some emotiva amps, due to the cost to performance. I had wanted parasound, but will upgrade later when $ allows and the hd proj and screen have been taken care of.

Any tips guys?

If it changes the outcome, my goal is to eventually run vantage as front l/r and have a descent i as well.

any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm sitting on a hair trigger for purchasing right now...

wassappening fellow chitowner. I think it would be best to have all speakers in your system match each other. In the case of the encores, the preface and vignettes matches them as they are all ATF's. You can even build your system with just the encores if you want. Another way to go would be stepping up to the ESL's and have 2.1 for now then upgrade to 7.1 later on if you're on a budget. I think the sources are the cheapest ESL's at around $2000 a pair.

For what it's worth, I have six Encores and two Prefaces. I wish I would have saved my money and started with something like the Vantages and built up from there. I bought my speakers before I ever listened to the Vantages. After hearing how just the two Vantages alone sounded better than my entire system, I am kicking myself. Don't get me wrong though, I still have a great system, that most people after hearing are amazed by. I guess that I have just been bitten by the ESL bug. My goal is to get a pair of Ethos and start over from there and retire my ATF's to the living room.

I know what you mean jaandmel. I have contemplated on the same notion for a considerable amount of time. The ESL's are of course alot better than the ATF's. But for us on a tight budget or who are stingy, the ATF's are good enough.

I use Vignettes for surrounds... they work well. If you want to put ATF in front, definitely find ATF mains. They don't match the ESL's well. That really becomes a non-issue for surrounds, though.

baby steps?

Thanks everyone for giving me your input.

Basically my goal is to eventually have all esl for my home theater, though $$$ is stopping this dream.

I was thinking that I would sooner than later pickup 4 of the encores or similar speakers, for surrounds, and have an esl center and vantages for left/right...

then once $$$ arrived, swap the 4 surrounds for 4 new esl surrounds...

I'm eagerly awaiting the electro line and seeing the retail pricing on those...

though vantages have long been my dream main speakers... unless an ethos or spire fell into my lap :)

any thoughts for those of you who have the encore about picking up the encores now for surrounds, and a center, then upgrading and replacing as $ allows?

it is not feasible for me to try and do it all at once...

Back