Great Bookshelf Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read the John Potis (Positive Feedback) review of the Sapphire's on the link I provided. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I remember why I didn't get a pair, now. They are quite thirsty, and need 100+ Watts. No good for my Bill Beard, though I am pretty sure it would drive them to OKish levels.

The Sapphire XL's are not that "thirsty" at all. Though fairly low in sensitivity, they worked well with even some fairly low powered tube amplifiers. I owned a pair for about two years. Very good speakers, but a little lacking in the ultimate resolution dept., if you are looking at some big bucks stuff.

What CJ stuff are you matching these speakers with?

Check their website. Low impedance, low sensitivity, and a recommended 100+ Watts. That's where I was coming from - also backed up by Zero, and I quote:

"Mark and Daniel also makes a fantastic monitor. Although their first generation stuff was very rough around the edges, it seems the company is finally beginning to create a mature sounding product. When done right, they do things that small loudspeakers simply should not do! hah! However, in almost all cases, you are going to need a very powerful amplifier that's capable of delivering fast and commanding bass. When you treat them well however, they represent a great value. I would recommend checking out the new Diamond+ model if you wish to dip into those waters."

I accept you never really know until you try, but it really doesn't look good for a 50W tube amp. I wouldn't order a pair unless I could try them with said amp first, if you know where I am coming from.

Diamonds - that's a lot of dosh for a bookshelf. Will you really be putting them on one, or can you stand mount and place in free space? More info, as Jeff has asked for, please!

Last edited:
The ultimate question:

how much do you intend to spend?

In the "lower" price end, fairly recently heard a pair of LS3/5A. Still sound great :)

Got a pair of Diablos now, pretty nice.

Do you want something that sounds as close to your ML's
or something completely different?

I actually do not own Martin Logan anymore. I owned them exclusively for 5 years but my current speakers are Von Schweikert Unifield 3.

I am just looking to build a kick butt system in a small space. I read your review on the Harbeth and it was very positive. I thought about doing 3 Harbeth Monitor 30 up front and 2 of the smaller ones in the rear for multi-channel.

Thoughts?

The Sapphire XL's are not that "thirsty" at all. Though fairly low in sensitivity, they worked well with even some fairly low powered tube amplifiers. I owned a pair for about two years. Very good speakers, but a little lacking in the ultimate resolution dept., if you are looking at some big bucks stuff.

I will be using LP140s and a CJ5.

I have a pair of Monitor 30's on the way... I'll let you know. I had Compact 7ES-3's for over a year and loved them. Just traded up to Monitor 40.1s for my second system and they are fantastic too.

As for the ACI's, our man Zero didn't use them with very many amplifiers. Having owned mine for a couple of years, I got the chance to try them with about fifty different amplifiers over the duration and didn't have much trouble matching them with quite a few amps in the 30-50 watt range. Interestingly, as much of a Naim fan as I am, the 5i was not one of my favorite choices.

While an SET was not the optimum choice, I did have excellent luck with my WAVAC MD300B with Western Electric 300B's. It wouldn't play super loud but in a small room, was more than adequate for most music.

But I think our man here probably wants something a bit higher up the scale than the Sapphires... and maybe the Monitor 30's too.

The Diablos might be a nice match, because that tweeter is a touch forward and LP140's might offer some great synergy.

I've just figured out you are talking about the ACIs, and I am talking about the Mark & Daniel. No wonder the confusion. This has happened twice in this thread now:confused::)

I actually do not own Martin Logan anymore. I owned them exclusively for 5 years but my current speakers are Von Schweikert Unifield 3.

I am just looking to build a kick butt system in a small space. I read your review on the Harbeth and it was very positive. I thought about doing 3 Harbeth Monitor 30 up front and 2 of the smaller ones in the rear for multi-channel.

Thoughts?

I'd sure like to hear the Uni-3's.

What happened to the Dali Megalines?

What happened to them was 4 amplifiers need to run them. Including all the ICs. The expense was not the speakers but when you add another pair of mono blocks and all the wire. Hot damn it got expensive.

I went to CES this year listed to Von Schweikert fell in love and took their demo pair home. I absolutly am in love with these speakers.

Last edited:
Just another plug for Selah speakers. No, I have no affiliation with the company. I'm just a satisfied customer, who purchased their cheapest kit to make a pair of speakers for mom in law, that turned out to sound way better than they had a right to for the price paid. My feeling that if the cheap stuff can sound that good, the designs using better drivers should be off the charts in terms of value.

The previous poster linked a speaker that uses a Fountek ribbon tweeter, which Rick Craig from Selah has been using for a number of years now. The Fountek is a fairly inexpensive ribbon that Rick thinks is one of the best values out there. The reason I found it interesting is that recently Rick has moved to doing some designs using Raal ribbons. The Essato (Black 3 way) using Accuton (Karma, Maarten) drivers and the Mejor (ligher wood two way), which uses a Scan Speak Illuminator woofer and a larger Raal tweeter.

Here is what Rick said about the Raal Tweeters.

... just finishing up a SOTA monitor (Accuton woofer and mid) for a NYC area customer. The RAAL ribbon tweeter is so good I can't wait to hear its' bigger brother

That design is next...

... Scan-Speak Illuminator and the RAAL in a monitor for Arizona.

Apparently the Mejor is headed to Arizona, it may be worth your time to contact Rick Craig to see if the owner is in your area, and maybe you could get an audition. My guess is that if you love the sound of your Uni-3's one of these two designs could give it a good run for it's money, crossed over to your JL subs.

Stereophile comments about a Crystal Cable speaker using the same tweeter and Scan Illuminator Woofers.

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/see-through_transparency/

Attachments

• Esatto6.jpg
    Esatto6.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,564
  • Mejor2.jpg
    Mejor2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 981

Latest posts

Back