Granite "feet" under my Summits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Reaction score
Just got my Summits unpacked and since I have "soft" floors (solid oak straight on the wooden beams in cold Norway), I was thinking adding granite plates for the speakers to sit on. Should I, and if, how big should they be?
Should I also set my Descents on granite plates?

Plenty of people here do it, but I am not familiar with the sonic benefits. I'd be very interested to know others' thoughts.

Just got my Summits unpacked and since I have "soft" floors (solid oak straight on the wooden beams in cold Norway), I was thinking adding granite plates for the speakers to sit on. Should I, and if, how big should they be?
I would! I'd recommend a felt isolator glued to the underside of the granite. That'll protect your floor and provide a bit of isolation. Do you have a source of granite yet? A granite counter shop should be able to provide either pre-cut samples, or cut some scrap to size. A 4" square ought to do it; I use slate that size under the subwoofer in my media room. Made a world of difference!

A great sorce for granite is at monument makers . If they have a slight imperfection , they toss it out and they have to pay to have it hauled away. I have gotton many nice peices there for free.

There seems to be a little controversary using granite as some people say it rings, others say it is fine.

You may want to look into using a svelte shelf from www.symposiumusa.com under your speakers to gain best results

Just got my Summits unpacked and since I have "soft" floors (solid oak straight on the wooden beams in cold Norway),
The question is really what is under your floor. If the beams are part of the foundation and there is no room or basement underneath you would be better of putting the Summits on the spikes provided. Better yet replace the ML spikes with solid brass cones.

I would start out working on room placement and woofer levels first. This is most critical and involves quite a bit of movement of the speakers and other objects in the room. I have never found any kind of stone to be very effective or useful in audio or music applications. Think of how many musical instruments are executed in stone. (see Pierre Sprey's comments "[email protected]")

I have SoundGuard platforms under my pair of Summits and Descents. They also have their own spike feet providing more isolation than the spikes with the speakers themselves. More importantly, they keep the carpet from soaking up bass. While I originally bought these platforms for equipment, their foot print is perfect for these speakers. I do not think that they are made anymore but you could inquire at the Cable Company (where I bought them).

I was thinking adding granite plates for the speakers to sit on. Should I, and if, how big should they be?
The granite plates will add to the mass the speakers are trying to move hence the more mass the less movement of the speakers. The problem with the floor is that the vibration can be transferred to it and the granite plates would be best isolated from the wooden floor using spikes and cones. Norway has plenty of granite as you already know, so finding a local supplier shouldn't be a problem.

I have a pair of Lovan amp stands. Any guesses as to how my Quests would sound on them? The floor is carpet over a concrete slab.

Latest posts

Back