Good Speaker wire for logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrown

Reaction score
So im looking for some good wire that won't bust the bank. Checking out canuck audio mart and audiogon for a deal and came across a coule of things.

Has anyone heard of Ecosse cables? Anyways, heres a link to the set im looking at http://www.ecossecables.co.uk/Tables/table_frameset6.html

they look like a good match for my vantages because they have 2 conductors on one end and 4 on the other... This way I can get rid of the cheezy little bridges on the back of the speaker and I wouldn't have to buy expensive jumpers.

What are your thoughts? What should I be looking for specifically in a good cable for the logans when im comparing specs.

Last edited:
Never heard of this cable before.

In any case, providing the link to the ad is the same as providing a link to an Audiogon ad, which is not allowed.

I beleive I read on this site that the speaker cable should have low capacitance for Martin Logans. Incidently, Sanders who make electrostatics make cables designed for electrostatics,both ic's and speaker cables.
www.sanderssoundsystems.com

The former name of this company was Innersound.

Cheers, Greg

Changed it... thanks
Just checked the site. Interesting, and different. With their bi-wire cables they use solid core for the tweeter and stranded core for the woofer. This is the first time I have seen this.

Add DH Labs and the Anti Cable.

MIT just introduced a new budget line that, per the reviews I read, are quite good.

Also good luck with DH Labs...

I think I've got an 8 foot pair of single wire, if anyone wants them, PM. Cheap.

Just checked the site. Interesting, and different. With their bi-wire cables they use solid core for the tweeter and stranded core for the woofer. This is the first time I have seen this.

So I can get that pair for $70. Only one length is 14ft and the other is 17ft... longer than what I need and I always heard that you should keep the lengths the same. I always wondered if there was any truth to that...

Cables for M-L

So im looking for some good wire that won't bust the bank. Checking out canuck audio mart and audiogon for a deal and came across a coule of things.

Has anyone heard of Ecosse cables? Anyways, heres a link to the set im looking at http://www.ecossecables.co.uk/Tables/table_frameset6.html

they look like a good match for my vantages because they have 2 conductors on one end and 4 on the other... This way I can get rid of the cheezy little bridges on the back of the speaker and I wouldn't have to buy expensive jumpers.

What are your thoughts? What should I be looking for specifically in a good cable for the logans when im comparing specs.

I have used Nordost speaker cables for years with all of my M-Ls. The line starts with very reasonable cable to insane. These are neutral cables. Best advice I can give is to contact The Cable Company (www.cableco.com). They have a lending library and you can audition and compare samples of different cables for the cost of shipping. Only way to know what will work is to hear on your own system before you buy.

So I can get that pair for $70. Only one length is 14ft and the other is 17ft... longer than what I need and I always heard that you should keep the lengths the same. I always wondered if there was any truth to that...
Theoretically they should be the same lengths, but I don't think it should matter. You could, of course, cut the longer cable and reterminate it; the web site does not identify any special requirements for termination, but you could always check with them. Personally I dislike banana plugs unless they are lockable.

Depends on what you call cheap. Monster M2.2 single or M2.4 biwire work good and probably can be had for $100.00. Signal silver resolution are good. Audioquest Mont Blanc sell for $650.00 for a 8' length used and are real nice, if you don't like them they'll resell easily.

Well, as I indicated here with related math, it should be irrelevant for any rational difference in length. As far as electrical factors (resistance, capacitance, etc.) for plain wire, at these lengths, it would be an effectively immeasurable difference. For example, for twelve-gauge wire, the resistance is 0.00162 ohms/foot (*), so at three feet=approx 0.005 ohms difference. Here is an active formula that you can use to calculate wire resistance by length, material, and gauge.

* ARRL Handbook, 1985

A

Well, as I indicated here with related math, it should be irrelevant for any rational difference in length. As far as electrical factors (resistance, capacitance, etc.) for plain wire, at these lengths, it would be an effectively immeasurable difference. For example, for twelve-gauge wire, the resistance is 0.00162 ohms/foot (*), so at three feet=approx 0.005 ohms difference. Here is an active formula that you can use to calculate wire resistance by length, material, and gauge.

* ARRL Handbook, 1985

Steve, we are talking about audiophile speaker wire ;). Math and science?:confused: :eek: Everyone knows that 1/6" makes a difference :ROFL:

What's cheesy and arrogant about this? I have a spare pair that I don't need and was willing to pass them on to someone here saving them a few bucks.

We've always given DH Labs good reviews.

Jeff, I think Gordon just misinterpreted what you were saying. He probably read it as:

"Also, good luck with DH Labs . . ."

rather than:

"(I've) also (had) good luck with DH Labs."

He probably also misread the word "cheap" to refer to the quality of the cables rather than what you would charge someone for them.

I actually had to read it twice before I was sure what you were saying.

I would hope we can all give each other the benefit of the doubt in situations like this instead of jumping on our soapbox immediately when something strikes us the wrong way. I know I have been as guilty of this as anyone in the past.

What's cheesy and arrogant about this? I have a spare pair that I don't need and was willing to pass them on to someone here saving them a few bucks.

We've always given DH Labs good reviews.

Jeff, what interconnect or speaker cables do you use for your personal gear?

Back