Gain Control

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonergan2468

Reaction score
My Audiolab pre has a gain control switch. I was wondering, really what is the use of this. I know that my CD player does need a higher volume than record deck with Trichord dino. Is it not better to just increase from the main volume switch?

I'm not sure exactly how the gain control is set up on your preamp, but I can think of two reasons for gain controls. One would be to match the gains of various inputs, the other to control the gain of an output, so that if there were two amps connected they could be matched. Of course, I may be way off base, too.

Oh wait, it probably is to elevate or lower the input gain so that it matches your preamp so that your volume control isn't amplifying too low or too high an input level.

Last edited:
I'm guessing but they are most likely there to control impedance of the inputs and prevent the input stages from being overdriven by too high a signal from the source, which can produce distortion.

Last edited:
Back