Full surround-sound DVD concerts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Now that I finally have a functional 5.1 multi-channel setup, I'd like to find some well recorded DVD concerts, preferably in a high(er) res widescreen format. I have the Eric Clapton "Live in Hyde Park" DVD, recorded in 1996, which is a great concert, but not true surround sound (nor high def).

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but since Sony appears to have won the high-def battle, I'm open to recommendations in that format as well.

I'm open to most genre's, especially acoustic guitar, jazz, and older pop and rock, plus anything else that'll "knock my socks off".

Two of my favorites, for both audio and video quality, are:

James Taylor, Live at the Beacon Theater.

Santana, Supernatural.

Pink Floyd Pulse DD@640kbs

Cream at Royal Albert Hall DTS
Recorded in HD but on standard DVD.

No Surprise here, as I'll be recommending Steven Wilson mastered content from two of his bands:

The first and most impressive is the "Arriving Somewhere" concert DVD by Porcupine Tree.

This disc is very well mixed (like all his multi-channel albums) and short of the DVD-A's one of the best ways to hear PT.

4166SEe%2BfAL._AA240_.jpg

The other is the side-band Steve does, called Blackfield. Their concert in NYC is on DVD, and again features awesome sound engineering for some very cool music.

Attachments

• BlackfieldLiveInNYC.jpg
    BlackfieldLiveInNYC.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 177
Agree with Jonathons recomendation of Blackfield excellent quality.
Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" get the DTS version
Sade, "Sade Live" She's one sexy woman, the Musics great too!!

2 of my favorites for the music, not the recording quality

Eric Burdon and the new Animals, " Live at the Coach House" Just Rocks.

Jeff Buckley. "Live in Chicago" Great performance

Thanks guys!

Just ordered the Eagles (in DTS) and, for WAF... Cyndi Lauper Live at Last (Dolby 5.1)

Will check out the other recommendations later this week.

FWIW, I like Phil Collins - "Finally....The First Farewell Tour" and

Three Dog Nite - "Live with The Tennessee Symphony Orchestra"

as well as the aforementioned by those mentioning before me !

FWIW, I like Phil Collins - "Finally....The First Farewell Tour"

+1 for this DVD as well.

I've been watching it this evening (and as I type now), and it's very good, the big rig is rocking the house :musicnote:

You have to get Godsmack's Changes DVD even if its just for the drum battle. :)

I hear that Rush's 30 year concert DVD thingy is supposed to be great too.

My personal top 11 would be this list, where every disc has at least good video, definitely good audio, plus music that I like, mostly weighted toward jazz.

Alison Krauss and Union Station Live
Andrea Bocelli Amore Beneath the Desert Sky
Boz Scaggs Greatest Hits Live
Chris Botti Live with Orchestra & Special Friends
Cream - Royal Albert Hall
DeJohnete, Han****, Holland, Metheny In Concert
Diana Krall Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival
Lee Ritenour: Overtime
Pat Metheny Group: The Way Up, Live
Sessions At West 54th, The: Volume 1
Jane Monheit: Live at the Rainbow Room

I believe that all have surround sound.

One thing you could try: if the dvd has a stereo track, try selecting that track, and then use DLP II Music to process the surround and see if you like the result. It's a trick I learned from reading Robert Harley's reviews of some dvds.

Sleepysurf,
I have a few concert dvds your'e welcome to audition. A good application of your audio/video system is to watch the movie "House of the Flying Daggers". Beautiful color and sounds that actually surround you. It should look very good on your Oppo. Its also available on Blu-Ray for those setup with that.

Since you have Summits as mains, try the "Polar Express". Of course its a Christmas movie and out of season now but when the train pulls up to the kids house it sounds as if the train is coming through your house. Its quite impressive.

Some nice suggestions. The Eagles must have excellent engineers because the sound quality of their Farewell I Tour Live from Melbourne is also fantastic. I'm not a big fan, my wife likes them, but I enjoy listening because of the quality. Also Animusic, which is electronic generated music visualized with computer animation. Very nice sound and fun to watch. However, its short with only seven segments and some bonus material.

I'm hoping that the Rush 30 DVD release is quality sound. I am not impressed with the Rush in Rio DVD.

sleepysmurf,

You're going to LOVE that copy of the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over". I completely agree with "theWB" on this disc. Video is excellent, sound is astounding, performance is relaxed and engaging. It's a perfect disc for demonstrating what HT is SUPPOSED to be all about. I've heard it on several different ML systems (including my own) and it's a winner.

I would also recommend Diana Krall's "Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival". Although the video is a little grainy when played at standard DVD resolution (480i), if you have a DVD player that has good upconversion circuits (like the Oppo!) it will look every bit as good as it sounds. I'm a huge Krall fan, and this DVD is just a sweet performance. The recording is excellent, and the videography is very creative with a lot of artistic fades and montages. It also features a lot of closeups of Diana and her other band members, and this really draws you into the performance. IT's like seeing her in a small club rather than in a big auditorium. If you're a Krall fan, this DVD is a "must have".

--Richard

The MTV HD channel is starting to show Concert Videos in high resolution and surround sound. The quality is about the best I've seen and heard over the Fios subscription TV system. Recently, they've been showing the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Milan Italy, Christina Aguilera's Back to Basics Tour and Amy Winehouse and a few others I haven't seen yet. These were all well done and hopefully, they'll be expanding the offerings soon.

Try Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds "Live at Radio City". It's on DVD(Dolby 5.1), CD, and Bluray (Dolby TruHD). Every format sounds great, especially the uncompressed bluray version!

Try Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds "Live at Radio City". It's on DVD(Dolby 5.1), CD, and Bluray (Dolby TruHD). Every format sounds great, especially the uncompressed bluray version!

Speaking of Dave Mathews & Tim Reynolds - I have heard several of their CDs - and I have found them to have excellent sound quality. Hearing an acoustic guitar on logans is something fun.... For the other threads - I saw the Eagles perform in the early 80s - and they sounded as good live as they do on that DVD. And one further note... ahem....I'm going to see Dave Mathews,Tim Reynolds & Jack Johnson at the Kokua festival in Hawaii in April.....I'll let you know how that sounds too :)

Try these

If no one has mentioned it try Fleetwood Macs:The Dance dvd,or dvd's of Celine Dion.If you want to try,before you buy,I would sign up with Netflix.They have hundreds of music dvd's.It's much cheaper than buying something that you do not like.Good luck on your quest.:music:

I finally got to play the Eagles When Hell Freezes Over in DTS today... awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions! Hadn't ever thought about Netflix, so will definitely check out their selection, as well as the FiOS MTV concerts.

Back