From Odyssey to Classic ESL 9 or Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paolo25

Reaction score
What improvements from the Odyssey to the current Classic ESL 9 or amplified Ethos.
Between Classic 9 and Ethos wich do you prefer?
Recommend the passage at a cost of around euro 3.000 ?

Thank you
Paolo

Hola Paolo.

That's a tough question. The Odyssey are great speakers. My choice and liking towards the Ethos. This model is very well bass balanced and you can adjust the bass intensity very easy. Because there is a built in power amplifier that drives the woofer on each speaker, this option is very good. In addition, the new stat panel is to my ears, a great benefit too. The panel is exposed to the air about 40% more than the old technology. This feature gives more high frequency extension, and much better dynamics. The look of the stat panel might look smaller and it is smaller ( physical size ) but I assure you that it is a magical nirvana coming out from them.

Do a serious listening session before you choose. Trust your ears and liking. Take your favorite music to the listening session. Your ears are the final judges, no matters my liking. Choose the ones that you liked most!

Happy listening!

Thank you so much Roberto.
So from that I understood your preference goes to the Ethos compared to the Classic ESL 9?
I have owned Odissey for about a year and I am very satisfied. If I change it is mainly to have more compact speakers, but I wouldn't want to lose quality in the sound.
My dealer has a pair of Classic ESL 9 but honestly I don't Know how much better they be than the Odissey. I wold be to orient myself towards Ethos or better Montis with amplified woofers.
One last thing Roberto, you know the Gryphon electronics about compatibility with Martin Logan?
Regards
Paolo

Odyssey's are great.. and very large. The newer ML's are smaller, sound as good as the old larger ML's and easier to drive because of the onboard amps for the subwoofer section. I went from reQuest to Summit and the Summits were hands down much better... and easier to live with.

Thank you so much Roberto.
So from that I understood your preference goes to the Ethos compared to the Classic ESL 9?
I have owned Odissey for about a year and I am very satisfied. If I change it is mainly to have more compact speakers, but I wouldn't want to lose quality in the sound.
My dealer has a pair of Classic ESL 9 but honestly I don't Know how much better they be than the Odissey. I wold be to orient myself towards Ethos or better Montis with amplified woofers.
One last thing Roberto, you know the Gryphon electronics about compatibility with Martin Logan?
Regards
Paolo

Paolo,
As you can see, our Martin Logan Owners big chief Mr Tom is telling the difference too about the new type of new stat panels. Easy to drive and much better extension. On the other hand, the Montis are much better than the Ethos. If you can go for them, do it! It is a great product, and having 10" woofer, the bass is awesome. The Ethos bass is very fast and good, but does not goes as deep as the Montis. On the Montis, you can play a church big organ with outstanding deep bass energy. Regarding the panels, I have a presentation where this panel is showing the difference between the Prodigy panels. Being smaller in physical size, the overall sound is bigger with the new technology. PM to me your email address, and I will remit to you this power point presentation.

I forgot to mention that at the Ethos and the Montis, there is on each speaker a 200 watts power amplifier built in. Your amplifier will not be use for the low frequency. It will send the low frequency info, but will not be loaded with is. The read at the crossover point is 4 ohms for the stat panels and 4000 ohms for low frequency...the will read this as an open circuit and will not use any of its power to drive the bass, only the midrange and highs.

Do not worry about your electronics. The new stat panels, you can play them with a minimum of 20 watts/channel. Their efficiency is very good. You can't go wrong with this new stat panels.
Happy listening!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back