For home theater - two Dynamo's or one Grotto?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ls35a

Reaction score
Will two Dynamo's (the original, little ones) work better that a single Grotto for home theater?

Any comments welcome.

70 views and no comments on one vs. two subs?

I guess ML people aren't into subs that much....

This place does not have alot of action like some other sites. But, it is the best for anything ML related, subs included. I personally use a pair of JL112's, and a REL B1 for my HT.

Stick around abit. You'll get some answers to your questions. Welcome to the club!!

Gordon

Perhaps I could lead you to some information. Last week I received an email newsletter from HomeTheaterReview.com. Within it was an article written by Steven Stone for AudiophileReview.com as to why he likes/prefers stereo subwoofers. If you log onto that site, you'll see it as the second blog down, Why I like stereo (subwoofers). I found it to be very insightful, so perhaps you may find it informative as well.
Good Luck.

I happen to think dealing with subs can be difficult, but at least you aren't trying to integrate two subs for music (many people feel that trying to get subs to work with ML speakers is a challenge).

Legend has it that subs are omnidirectional, but I never believed that. I feel that you can indeed hear where they are coming from. Thus, placement is obviously important. I think some experimentation is in order - maybe one up front near the TV and the other behind the viewer?

My gut tells me to go ahead and get the one bigger and better sub and then try to add another later should you need it.

Erik

And definitely consider used if you can getauseddepth or descent within yourbudget thatwpuldbe better. Sorry Sony seem to be hittingmy space bar on the itouch too well tonight!!

Perhaps I could lead you to some information. Last week I received an email newsletter from HomeTheaterReview.com. Within it was an article written by Steven Stone for AudiophileReview.com as to why he likes/prefers stereo subwoofers. If you log onto that site, you'll see it as the second blog down, Why I like stereo (subwoofers). I found it to be very insightful, so perhaps you may find it informative as well.
Good Luck.

Thanks, interesting article. As so often happens I thought the comments were as helpful as the article.

I guess the one or two sub controversy will continue to rage on for many years.

The JL Fathom subs are much better subwoofers than the ML subs imho. I personally own 2 F113's and they amaze me every day and I am super picky when it comes to nice, subsonic bass!:rocker:

The JL Fathom subs are much better subwoofers than the ML subs imho. I personally own 2 F113's and they amaze me every day and I am super picky when it comes to nice, subsonic bass!:rocker:

So you have six thousand dollars to spend on subwoofers. I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

I think the better question is are either of the two enough to fill your room? How big is your room?

So you have six thousand dollars to spend on subwoofers. I'm happy for you. Thanks for sharing.

Lol...you did say any comments welcome, so you shouldn't be complaining.

I assume when you mean better you mean louder....I also assume you mean Dynamo 500 and not 300. The 500 is 125w RMS while the Grotto is 250w RMS. So 2 Dynamo is equal in terms of power.

The Dynamo is a ported box vs the Grotto sealed. The pair of Dynamos should play 3dB louder (30%) easily as ported boxes play louder. Sealed boxes play tighter so the Grotto is more musical and goes lower.

So now it depends on what you want. If it were me I'd go with a pair of F113s if I could justifiably budget them. Since I can't i bought a Grotto :).

I have been mulling about upgrading to the Depth as you can get good deals on audiogon.

Last edited:
shakham has outlined my feelings as well. A sealed sub is my preference 100% of the time. I would go quality over quantity.

shakham has outlined my feelings as well. A sealed sub is my preference 100% of the time. I would go quality over quantity.

yup..and don't forget, Grotto is servo-controlled...so, a sealed box + servo controlled is my choice over the a ported sub with no servo-controlled.

I totally agree with quality over quantity. I have a Sunfire Super Jr. I believe up to 1200 watts. Definitely not the best sub out there, but when I demo'd this with every other klipsch, boston, and definitive sub the store had, there was no comparison. My placement, settings, and room treatments need some expertise to sound better, but generally I don't have my HT very loud anyway.

When I got a klipsch sub for free (quite beaten up) and hooked it up too, I was surprised how bad it sounded. More bass, yeah, but I would have needed an equal or better sub to the one I already have to make an improvement. So I guess even though I thought, great, I can blow the doors off my home theater with two subs! I needed about 3 different positions in the room to realize I liked better quality!

I would kill for some Fathoms though!:rocker:

I would go the JL Audio path also. One JL113 would do the trick. If funds are available, you can always get a second at a later date. I have one JL113 in a 600 sq ft room and it is more than enough (a second would be nice, but not the first thing on my list).

Back