For $2000 would you buy an AVR or a separate

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_74

Reaction score
I'm hoping to buy a new preamp next year to take advantage of HDMI and Bluray HD audio. I understand that decoding of the lossless audio formats will be identical whether done by the Bluray player or a capable processor/receiver. The argument here is that since it's lossless, there's only one way to decode the bitstream (We can probably spawn a whole thread on this topic alone). But given a PCM signal, is it true that the DAC's in a processor/receiver should be better than those in a $200-300 Bluray player and thus using the analog outs of a capable Bluray player would be inferior to allowing a processor/receiver to do DAC on the PCM?

With that in mind, I've already purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD35k and decided to take the money that I would have spent on a Bluray with Multichannel analog outs and instead spend it on a HDMI capable receiver/processor.

I don't really care about the amplifier section of a candidate AVR, I already have a Sunfire 5200 and plan to add a separate 2 ch amp when I make the jump to 7.1. Likewise, I don't care so much about video processing capability either, but it seems that with the exception of the Cary Cinema 11a, you have no choice but to pay for video capability. I'm really focusing on the audio processing capabilities.

With a $2k budget, am I better off with an entry level processor or a near-flagship receiver? I might be able to convince my wife to spend $2k every 4-5 years for a new AVR/processor, but if I were to spend $4-6k on a really nice processor now, I'd probably be expected to keep it for 20 years :eek: What AVR brands do you guys feel to be superior in terms of audio processing quality? Am I off base at all in my thinking?

As always, I could have asked this question in any numerous AV forums, but I trust my fellow ML members the most! :D

If you are only spending $2k and you want new, I don't think you could find a Pre/Pro + Amp. I think you will have to go receiver... Used you might be able to make the jump to separates, but probably would still be better off with a higher end receiver... YMMV...

Just let me clarify. I already have a Sunfire 5200. I'm just looking for a pre/pro or receiver for $2k

It's been a while since I looked at home theater equipment, but from what I remember I always liked Rotel and NAD. I'm sure there are several others but these were some of my favorites and if my memory serves me correct they are in your price range. Whether or not they will have everything you are looking for as far as connectivity they sure will make up the difference in their bang for the buck in sound quality. Hope this helps.

Glen

I don't believe you will find a 2k pre/pro that will top a semi flagship receiver
Especially if you want all the bells and whistles room correction etc

Spend the 2k on a streo pre and power amp and add the HT stuff later. You'll be much happier sonic-wise!

Take a look at the Integra processors

These are being highly reviewed for their video and sound qualities.Go to their website and look under the dealer locater.They have dealers all over your state.Always remember that any processors will essentially be out of date in a few years.That is just the nature of the business.Good luck.

Take a look at the Marantz AV-8003. I got mine new for less than $2000 and I think it sounds great. Certainly better than any receiver in it's price range.

Since you already have a nice amp, I think you will be able to put a Pre/pro in the mix for $2k. You might could find a nice used Rotel 1098 for that price... I like my 1098 and it might be a nice fit with the Sunfire stuff. Rotel tends to be a little bright, but that is mostly the amp, not the pre/pro.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Just let me clarify. I already have a Sunfire 5200. I'm just looking for a pre/pro or receiver for $2k

My $0.02, and the same advice I gave ScottG (who now has a Sunfire 7200 and a 9.9):

An Integra DHC-9.9 pre-pro can be had for well under $2K if you shop around. a NIB went for $1,700 on the 'Gon the other day.

With balanced outs, Audessey MultEQ XT (and Audessey Pro compatible) as well as doing all the expected high-end pre-pro moves, it seems like a very decent value.

Given your price-ceiling, it's what I'd recommend.

Remove the price ceiling, and the Denon AVP-A1HDci (which I have and love) is what I'd recommend. It beat out my prior Meridian in the sound quality dept., and would be hard to touch in terms of features.

Brian,

I am an admirer of your clean/elegant system. I recently had a simliar interest as you do in that I wanted to take advantage of all of the latest technology in an AVR - to be used as a pre - while at the same time ensure that it mated well with my Vantages and Mac MC 205 5 ch HT amp. I researched extensively as well as read a lot of user feedback - much on this forum - and decided on the Denon 4308CI. I picked it up online at Abes for under 2K with a three year extended warranty included. I really like it's slightly warmer sound with the panels.

Also, if you pick up a 3308 (some suggest that the 3308 is the best price point value - more so than the 4308, but I wanted the wireless capability in the 4308) or 4308 before Dec 31st, Denon will throw in a free "feature package" upgrade ($100 value - you will have to register to get it) which includes Audyssey Dynamic Volume control - normalizes the sound levels between programs - no more blaring commercials.

I would give it a look before you pull the trigger. Good Luck!

These are being highly reviewed for their video and sound qualities.Go to their website and look under the dealer locater.They have dealers all over your state.Always remember that any processors will essentially be out of date in a few years.That is just the nature of the business.Good luck.

I have the Integra DTC 9.8 for my theater, it is a super piece of gear at any price point, and is jam packed with high end features such as Phono inputs, Reon video processing, Audyssey XT room correction (upgradeable to Audyssey Pro), DTS MA & Dolby True HD digital processing, optional rack mount, etc etc. It has recently been replaced with the DTH 9.9 which is identical except for a few" tweakability" features. You may still be able to find new 9.8s around for as little as $1200 which is a steal for a pre-pro of this claiber. Later if you want even better analog performance you always could get a good used 2 channel preamp that has HT bypass mode with the remaining $800 and have true audio and video bliss the likes of which no receiver can deliver.

Back