flat screen tv above fireplace

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eknuds01

Reaction score
Fellas -

Anyone here have their flat screen tv mounted over their fire place.

I ask because I am (at long last) finally furnishing my house that I bought back in April. My old roommate moved to CA and when he left, he took his TV, couch, etc.

Essentially the room is built around the TV. I want to say the TV will be a good five or six feet off the floor. In most instances, TVs I've owned usually sit on a table or TV stand; the TV is usually at, or around, eye level.

Placing the TV above my fire place helps me make the most of the room but I am wondering if it hard on the neck (?). Maybe it's much ado about nothing because I can get an angled bracket and the TV will 'look' down at me.

I do have an alternate arrangement in mind where I can place the TV on a stand should the above approach not work out. However, this decision is important because it determines how many couches I need, their size, and so on.

Erik

Erik,

That was the fad years ago when they came out but unless you are the kind that when going to the movies you sit further down front it's not a natural fit for neck, head, eye strain, etc.

My TV is actually in my fireplace. The height is perfect :D. Needless to say, the fireplace doesn't get much use... (I debated getting one of those "fireplace video" DVDs just for humorous effect.)

Add my vote to the "above the fireplace is too high to actually watch TV comfortably" camp.

Thanks for the feedback thus far. It seems that one has to weigh how things look vs a practical viewing angle for the tv.

Erik

I have a 58" plasma above the fireplace. I love it there. It's out of the way, and doubles as a nice digital photo frame.

I don't usually watch hours and hours of television at a time, so that might be a factor in why I don't have issues with it. It is angled down about fifteen degrees, which works out perfect in my room. The viewing position is seventeen feet from the fireplace, and 95% of the time I'm lying down in my recliner.

Tv above fireplace

We have one above are firplace & it not an issue -that area is basically my wifes/kids viewing spot, but if you have a couch/love seat & reclinewr it works fine most everybody lays on the couch with there head reasting on the arm of the couch w/a throw pillow relaxing watching tv at night & of course the recliner reclines.

Even better in the winter the wife & kisds like to lie on the couch snuggled in a throw blanket.

So the angle is actual better. I think it's a 60" plasma about 5 ft. Floor to bottom of the plasma.

Big space saver.

Hi:

I recently installed my flat screen TV above the fireplace. The viewing angle is fine, and like KODG said, it’s a big space saver. Moving the TV from the top shelf allows me to use the space for my integrated amp, as shown in the picture below.

Bill.

Attachments

• new_setup.jpg
    new_setup.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 10,754
I like the TV higher, and as you point out, you can always angle it downward. Someday i hope to get rid of my 62" DLP that i am seeing more and more as a monstrosity sitting between and behind the speakers, which interferes with the sound of the stereo. When i do, the flat screen will be elevated and slightly tilted into the viewing area. Until then, i'll just keep dreaming.

The thing that i am concerned about with placement over the fireplace is if you routinely use the fireplace. I have a wood burning stove in mine and it gets very hot at times. Also, although it should not happen but may on occasion, smoke and other gasses might escape.

All -

Thanks so much for the great advice!

I think I am settled on a furniture arrangement. I will put the TV on the wall opposite the fireplace. This allows me to put a couch + loveseat in the room and keep my reclinder in there as well. I also avoid the headache of having to mount the TV high on over the fireplace.

Maybe the biggest obstacle is running about 20 ft of coax from the cable outlet to where the tv is going (need to snake it over a door frame, but that's doable).

best,
Erik

Latest posts

Back