Center speaker with flat panel TV

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risman

Reaction score
I'm replacing an older Hitachi 55" rear-projection HDTV with a new Sharp 70" LC-70LE735U LCD flat panel TV. Currently I have a Martin-Logan Logos center channel speaker on top of the Hitachi, but obviously I can't do that with a flat panel TV. My question is whether I would have to wall-mount the Logos above the new flat panel (which I really would prefer not to do), or whether it could be placed underneath the flat panel in, say, a cabinet on which the flat panel will be standing. How would this affect acoustics?

Better to wall mount above tv. You will need to place the center of your tv at eye level . Place the logos below the tv will open up issues with direct sighting and could be areal problem if you have a coffee table in the room. Puting the logos on wall above tv pointed at viewers does not have these issues. You will need to worry about wires dc and speaker to the Logos. While you are at it , you could wall mount the tv.

Putting speaker inside a cabinet is not a good idea.

Last edited:
If you could wall-mount the tv, then you could place the logos on the cabinet under it. Mounting it in the cabinet is going to create some issues, I think.

I have had my Logos under and over my 60" TV with over being preferred. It is now in a cabinet over the the same TV. It does effect the sound a bit, dampening the volume say 10-15%. This was returned by the calibration in the preamp/processor. I would suggest using absorption behind the speaker if it is in a cabinet to kill any dull hollow echo that might occur.

Try it under and see, it may just take some tweaking to get it to sound the way you want.

Having mine under did work I just preferred its sound above. There will always be some limitations to an installation in a living room. The Logos is quite big and might not look great (WAF-if there is one) hanging that far out from the wall beyond the TV.

Depending on whether there is a table in front of the seating area and how close the cabinet is the angle up not having a direct line from the Logos may be an issue.

What about wall mounting the TV and setting the Logos on top of the cabinet?

Latest posts

Back