Flat panel TV's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone looking for a new flat panel. Samsung has just come out with a new LCD flat panel that you need to see. It has an amazing 50,000 to 1 contrast ratio! I had been going to buy a Pioneer Kuro plasma for the living room and a Sony XBR for the bedroom, instead I bought two of the new Samsungs. I spent a long time looking at the picture quality of all three, as they were set up side by side by side at the store. Anyway, check 'em out, you might just do as I did and change your opinion on which has the best picture.

I just got a 46" Samsung LN46550 LCD last week. I always thought I would buy a Sony XBR set, but I honestly thought the Samsung looked better and it was right next to an XBR. This Samsung has 30K contrast, but not 120 Hz refresh. That costs a lot more and I don't think I need it. The picture is amazing. I think the set referred to in the prior post by slowGEEZR is the new 650 series with the even higher contrast and 120 Hz refresh. I got my 550 series at Amazon for $1499 delivered in room. I am very pleased.

PS Samsung has an LED backlight set with a reported 500K contrast. I think it is the 81 series.

PS PS Sony does not even make LCD panels (at least not enough to meet demand); they buy them from Samsung and recently made an agreement to buy from Sharp too.

Torry

Just a heads up for anyone looking for a new flat panel. Samsung has just come out with a new LCD flat panel that you need to see. It has an amazing 50,000 to 1 contrast ratio! I had been going to buy a Pioneer Kuro plasma for the living room and a Sony XBR for the bedroom, instead I bought two of the new Samsungs. I spent a long time looking at the picture quality of all three, as they were set up side by side by side at the store. Anyway, check 'em out, you might just do as I did and change your opinion on which has the best picture.

What is the model number on the TV?

40" version = LN40A650

52" = LN52A650

Hopefully I grabbed the right ones. Those models have the 50000:1 contrast ratio.

Erik

Does this mean that LCD has bypassed plasma in dark rooms?

Hard to bypass a new Kuro, esp knowing Pioneer is going towards outsourcing their plasma production. My big concern with Samsung is their potential lifespan (meaning how long they actually stay sharp and clear). Case in point the older RCA, Zenith etc big screens that faded badly after a year or two. No offense but I have always lived by the old line "dont buy a tv made by a company that sells microwaves, washer and dryers."

I love my 55" Hitachi Ultravision plasma...3 years old and going strong!

Hard to bypass a new Kuro, esp knowing Pioneer is going towards outsourcing their plasma production. My big concern with Samsung is their potential lifespan (meaning how long they actually stay sharp and clear). Case in point the older RCA, Zenith etc big screens that faded badly after a year or two. No offense but I have always lived by the old line "dont buy a tv made by a company that sells microwaves, washer and dryers."

I love my 55" Hitachi Ultravision plasma...3 years old and going strong!

I like to live by that motto too. AND I have a Hitachi plasma.

BUT...

Hitachi make Vacuum cleaners, construction equipment, air conditioners, power tools .............................

In fact - I believe they are the second biggest Japanese company (after Toyota) :eek:

Last edited:
Hard to beat the Pioneer Plasmas.....

If Sharp has the LCD counter-punch, I would like to see it in person before I part ways with 5000 clams.....

BTW, I own an Aquos at 37" for my bedroom...

~VDR

I like to live by that motto too. AND I have a Hitachi plasma.

BUT...

Hitachi make Vacuum cleaners, construction equipment, air conditioners, power tools .............................

In fact - I believe they are the second biggest Japanese company (after Toyota) :eek:

What about KAWASAKI ??

Ship-builder from hell, I'm told...

~VDR

The Pioneer Kuro's are fantastic. Best there is. The new Samsung 750 series and the slightly "older" LED backlit 81 series are some of the best images you'll find on an LCD. Unfortunately, selling the Samsungs we've had a lot of issues with them as far as reliability goes with their TVs the last few years. Of the major brands they come back with issues far more than the other manufacturers.

it's interesting that LCD is surpassing CRT in dark rooms - save for size :)

What? I don't think so. CRT's have contrast ratios in the high six digits or infinite, depending on what you read.

It's one of the things still keeping my three-eyed dinosaur going in my HT.

I have a Pio Kuro for my wife's 'media room' and it's a lovely 50" plasma, but the blacks are still not as inky as the CRT's and some of the colors not as balanced.

Convergence on the hand, is perfect in the flat panels ;)

My CRT still makes me do the RGB squint ever few months (detail zone color convergence, those that owned RPTV or FPTV w/CRT know what I mean).

What is the model number on the TV?

Erik listed the numbers. LN46A650 and LN52A650 were the ones I purchased. Samsung also has the LNxxA750 series, but I don't think the picture is any different, just more computer options. I also noted on their website that they have one with 500K:1 contrast ratio, but I don't know anything else about that one.

Does this mean that LCD has bypassed plasma in dark rooms?

I didn't compare in a dark room, as I bought these sets for the bedroom and the living room. I'm thinking of projection for the media room, but haven't made up my mind yet, as the media room is not very large.

Last edited:
Back