Finding the right amp for ML Vantages

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bahamaman

Reaction score
I followed the advice I received earlier and went to audition the Vantages. IMO, there wasn't a "night and day" difference between them and the Vistas, but I feel the difference justifies the cost difference. Now for the right two channel amp.

My budget for a two channel amp is approximate $3500. From what I have read here, one should really focus on the ability of the amp to double its output (if that is the right word) as you go from 8 to 4 to 2 ohms.

Within my budget I have found a demo model of Innersound's iPower 330, which produces 330 watts at 8 ohms, 660 at 4 ohms and is stable down to below 1 ohm. Alternatively, I have found a used Plinius that has similar specs and is similarly priced.

Two questions: Am I right in focusing on that particular spec? Second, is that too much power? As to this latter question, I am almost certain that the answer is no. It's just that I have to make a decision by tomorrow night and I want to make sure and avoid a costly misstep.

Again, thanks in advance for any help and feel free to suggest alternatives!

Within my budget I have found a demo model of Innersound's iPower 330, which produces 330 watts at 8 ohms, 660 at 4 ohms and is stable down to below 1 ohm. Alternatively, I have found a used Plinius that has similar specs and is similarly priced.

Two questions: Am I right in focusing on that particular spec? Second, is that too much power? As to this latter question, I am almost certain that the answer is no.

I know we have some big Plinius fans on the site here...I think that is what Joey is using w/ his Summit's but I might be mistaken there. I know I read lots of good things about them. Do a site search for Plinius and see what comes up. I have never heard of the other amp before.

As for to much power, just be careful not to turn the vol ALL THE WAY UP! You want head room to keep from having distortion as you close in on the absolute peak power that the amp can provide.

Good luck, I am sure either will sound WONDERFUL!

I would think you will be fine with either choice. Everyone says Plinius amps are great with MLs and I believe Innersound are specifically designed according to the needs of Electrostats. And no, I don't think that is too much power. Headroom is always a good thing with these speakers. Doubling the load into half the impedence is a good spec to watch out for. MLs impedence dips pretty low at the high frequencies, so that stability is important. But the most important spec is how it sounds to you. Any chance of auditioning these amps with the Vantages. That should help you decide more than anything else.

I fully agree with Dan, there is never too much power, you just dont have to use all of it. There are so many good amps in that range, are you looking for new only or would used be OK? I paid $2000 for my BAT which was $5800 new.

Great advice all around - many thanks.

aerius007 - I'm going to check out the BAT's a little more closely.

FWIW - Innersound makes electrostatic speakers, and if I'm not mistaken, shares some roots with MartinLogan. Their amp was originally designed to power their speaker. I'm sure it would do fine with ML's. I've never heard it, though. Frankly, I'm partial to tubes.

Go with what your happy with and can afford. Your on to a great start already with your choices!

Amps that can "double-down" are an indication of how good and robust the design inside. That is...it is a good indication that the power supply transformer is large enough and the supplies storage capacitance is great enough to increase its power output through diminishing loads.

I agree, you can never have enough power...in my opinion a few hundred watts per channel (200-300 into 8 ohms) of clean power is just enough. With the budget you are on you should be able to find something.

Sam

Back