External amp with rx-a2010

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdpayne

Reaction score
I need help figuring out what to use to power a pair of MartinLogan Montis. Right now I have a Yamaha RX-A2010 that is rated at 140wpc with two channels driven. This is my first venture into any type of planar speakers. I need help figuring out if adding an external amp and just using the pre-outs on the yamaha will really bring out the best in the Montis or if it will be a minimal improvement at best. I've come across a good price locally on a Parasound HCA-1205A rated at 140wpc acd and an Emotiva XPA-3.

Right now it will just be a 2.1 but I will be going 5.1 within a year or so.

If you guys have any suggestions on other amps I should take a look at I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Hi Adam,

Generally speaking, AV receivers tend to limit the performance of the higher end ML models so the idea of getting a new amp will likely result in a better performing speaker. Yes, it is worthwhile.

I assume you are aware of the panel impedance issues so the amp needs to address this anomaly. Many discussions and recommendations on this item in our forum. Use the "search" function and find a comfortable chair. Remember that it's not necessarily the number of watts but the quality of those watts. High current, doubling down in power as impedance decreases, etc.

The Montis is an incredible speaker and, in the end, the better the quality of gear upstream, the more you will maximize the performance of the Montis.

Good luck.

GG

Well first off welcome to the forum adam

First if you give us here on the forum a limit on what you want to spend on amplification we can give you better preferences. You will need a good high current amp for ML to be played loud and clear as no avr is going to preserve the dynamics properly. Here is an example, I was listening to Danzig a while back on an avr and had it cranked. At certain points the sound would act like it was being turned down by a phantom remote but it was actually my speakers dipping down in the ohms and robbing the dynamics

I appreciate the info. I have a basic understanding that the impedence of speakers is not a singular number but a graph/curve that changes with frequency. The parasound unit doesn't double power at 4 ohms but does increase from 140 to 200 watts at 4 ohms. Is it necessary to fully double at two ohms?

I've heard I need to get a high current but not really sure how to tell. The hca 1205a specs says its current capacity is 45 amperes peak per channel.

As far as price is concerned, I've about drained my funds on the dang speakers. I found a local seller for the hca 1205 for $350 which seems like a good price though this would be my first amp. I would like to keep the amp under $1000 if at all possible.

The parasound will do a great job on your speakers so if funds are tight then go for it, This way you can save up and get used to the the dynamics of your speakers. The doubling down into four ohms is just a sign of a well designed amp and its not mandatory for electrostats. In some examples manufacturers will sometimes underrate the power of an amp so that it appears to double into 4ohms just to get the audiophiles to buy it

Amplifiers generally last for years and years and are mostly built like tanks. Although some may need a checkup at a hifi shop you should be good with the 7 yr old para. If you ever get the chance then get the seller to show you a picture of the inside and you can check for leaky capacitors as thats the only kind of failure that is likely to happen and its an easy fix most times

Back