Experience shipping big Logans...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexl911

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an expat living in Europe (Germany) had have recently sold my CLS'es. I'm now shopping for a new speaker and was thinking about importing some (used) Vantages from the US. The voltage is not a problem as I used my P600 as a voltage converter.

Does anyone have any experience shipping to Europe? Can anyone recommend a good shipping company? What are some rough costs? Even if the shipping+insurance, duty, taxes etc. cost $1K it's still significantly cheaper to buy from the US than in Europe.

Thanks,
Alex

The voltage may well be a problem - I've heard that the line frequency also matters. Does your converter also convert 50Hz to 60Hz? Otherwise you may still be in trouble.

The voltage may well be a problem - I've heard that the line frequency also matters. Does your converter also convert 50Hz to 60Hz? Otherwise you may still be in trouble.

Not a good thing to be out of phase.

No problem with voltage...

My PS Audio P600 can do 50-60hz and anything in between (this is the beauty of the Power Plant). Voltage is not the problem! Besides, I will probably order new 240v voltage boards before I have them shipped to Europe, just in case I want to sell them later.

Hertz does matter with these speakers. They need to be converted for both voltage and hertz. A potential buyer for my Aeons from England called Jim Powers recently on this question.

If that does the voltage and the hertz then you should be good. I had a sale for my Aeon speakers to England but an internal circuit board would need to be changed and you can only buy one from Martin Logan if you've owned the speakers for at least 6 months plus a $200 charge for the part. Becuase of this, the sale was canceled.

I would expect more Audiogon sales to Europe this year considering the way the US dollar to Euros exchange rate is going.

No problem with voltage...

Like I said, the P600 can handle the voltage change. I'm more interested in experience people have had shipping large speakers.

I am not sure about shipping international but my Vantages were shipped from CA to CO via DHL and it was a nightmare. One showed up in a few days, the other took a weeklong trip to Minn. and showed up with the box wet and crunched. The speakers were undamaged. I won't be using DHL again.
I had huge fears then when I had my Pass labs amp shipped (110lbs.) but it arrived via FedEx without issue.

Lee

Back