Even nothing is sometimes something

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
I finally did what lots of people have recommended and what I always assumed would prove a useful upgrade: I put in two dedicated 20 amp circuits with "audiophile-grade" outlets. The result? Everything sounds pretty much the same.

Despite the fact that I cannot hear any (certain, verifiable) change, I take solace in two things: (1) If I ever do return to monoblocks and inefficient speakers, I won't need to be concerned about having adequate power. (2) There is some value in knowing that the existing system is not being held back. Prior to making this change, I could only have guessed what effect the dedicated circuits might make. As these things go, it was not a terribly expensive upgrade, so I at least have the satisfaction of knowing that I am not limiting my system in this respect.

Not quite as enthralling as making a sonic breakthrough, but better than nothing. Anyone else have a similar experience?

For what it's worth, I have made numerous upgrades over the years that made a significant difference. The greatest by far was switching to the BAT VK-32SE preamp. The improvement in that case was both obvious and enormous. Of course, that cost a few bucks more than adding the dedicated circuits. 'A case of getting what I paid for, I suppose.

I keep recalling Dave Barry's quip: "There's a fine line between hobbies and mental illness!" At least we crazies understand each other.

Best ever,
Craig

I put in a dedicated 20A circuit about 1-1/2 yrs ago. Most of the time it didn't offer any appreciable sonic improvement. However, it definitely eliminated intermittent electrical noise and "brownout" issues related to a ceiling fan and dimmer lights that were previously on the same circuit! As you mentioned, it certainly provides relatively inexpensive piece-of-mind re your system's power supply. BTW, are you using a power conditioner or surge protector? If so, try listening without them, just to see if there's any further improvement.

BTW, are you using a power conditioner or surge protector? If so, try listening without them, just to see if there's any further improvement.

Yes, it occurred to me to try this, and I will do so soon. I have the McIntosh amp hooked up to a Running Springs "Duke" power conditioner. (The source components and preamps are on a different circuit hooked up to a "Jaco.") I went the Running Springs route precisely because I was told (and still believe) that I would not find them restrictive. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't prefer the amp without the Duke. 'Worth a try, anyway.

I was fortunate to have been running my equipment previously on a quiet 15 amp circuit. No fridges, air conditioners, etc.--just wall outlets that weren't being used for anything else most of the time.

Of course, it's not that there is anything at all wrong with my system. It sounds fabulous, especially given the restrictions imposed by our room and furniture. It's one of those "relentless pursuit of perfection" things! I'm glad I made the change, if only to eliminate that variable.

It's the tweaks/upgrades that make things sound worse that really get me. I've had my share of those over the years...

Last edited:
Craig,

peace of mind is a beautifull thing ! You did the right thing and for the right reason, sit back, pour yourself a cold one and enjoy your music !

Craig,

Be sure to let us know what you think of the music with and without the Duke and Jaco, at least I know I would be very interested if you can tell a difference.

Typically, you won't hear a huge diff from dedicated outlets and then only when really cranking your system.

But you should hear a fairly substantial difference using the RSA stuff and not.

For what it's worth, I have made numerous upgrades over the years that made a significant difference. The greatest by far was switching to the BAT VK-32SE preamp. The improvement in that case was both obvious and enormous. Of course, that cost a few bucks more than adding the dedicated circuits. 'A case of getting what I paid for, I suppose.

I have tried just switching out pre-amps and granted the two were an old Carver vs a new Sunfire TGIII - and the sound was very very similar. Slight differences could be heard - but doubt if one could hear the diff blind.

What did you go from prior to your BAT? and what amp do you have with it? I have contemplated a new tubed pre at some point - but keep getting into impedance matching issues between my sunfire signature amp and a tubed pre (the sunfire is 24K ohms)....Can you expound upon the diffs? thx. tim.

Craig,
Be sure to let us know what you think of the music with and without the Duke and Jaco, at least I know I would be very interested if you can tell a difference.

Will do. I should be able to get to it this weekend.

What did you go from prior to your BAT? and what amp do you have with it?

I had been using an Audio Research SP-6E that had been thoroughly rebuilt and significantly improved by Great Northern Sound. I had used various other things prior to that, mostly mid-market preamps by NAD, Sony ES and Carver. The new model BAT completely blows those preamps, including the ARC, out of the water. It provides a beautifully clear, extended, dynamic, rich and full sound. Moreover, it occupies the price/performance sweet spot: much better than the somewhat cheaper stuff, but nearly as good as higher priced models. It is the one piece of gear I've ever bought that significantly exceeded my expectations.

I've had a range of amps, but I have been happily using a McIntosh MC402 for some time now. 'Seems like a good match with the tube preamp and electrostatic speakers. 'Maybe not the very best gear out there, but still awfully darn good. I don't have the money to buy the latest and best, but I am a happy camper with this setup. It provides clarity without harshness, which is what I had always wanted but couldn't quite get before.

Follow up

I switched repeatedly back and forth, putting the Running Springs in and out of the system. I would love to be able to tell you that they made a vast improvement, but, frankly, I cannot tell any difference, and I was doing my utmost to find something about which to comment. ("A veil lifted...the heavens opened...my wife implored me to buy more of this magical equipment...") Mind you, there are a lot of folks in the house, so I cannot play at an ear-splitting level. Perhaps I'd notice more of a change if I was driving the amp and speakers a lot harder.

On the other hand, I can interpret this to be a good thing since it means that they are not in any way restricting the system. Bear in mind that I am running two dedicated 20A circuits, so the sound should be quite good. The Running Springs do not appear to be adding anything (obvious, anyway) to the sound. At the same time, they are, presumably, contributing a significant measure of protection and regulation. Of course, in a different situation (e.g., faced with dirty, unreliable power), they might offer quite a significant improvement. To be perfectly fair, I did think that they added a certain "snappiness" to the system back when it was running on a single 15A circuit. That advantage, assuming that it existed at all, is no longer present with the new wiring.

I guess if I've learned anything over the years, it is to be suspicious of claims that this or that tweak will revolutionize my stereo. At this level, it is a whole lot easier to make things worse than it is to improve them noticeably. Fortunately, neither the power conditioners nor the new wiring appears to do anything detrimental. First, do no harm... ;)

Back