ESL, MOTIF & FX2... Pioneer 1222 or 1522 ?????

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roleplay

Reaction score
Hi guys.... So I just placed my order for a set of ESL's with a MOTIF center DYNAMO 1000 sub and FX2 in the rear. I am very excited to get my speakers and now must decide how I want to power them. I am kind of stuck with pioneer and have two models in mind.

1. SC-1222 $1,100 7.2 with 160 watts per channel at 6 ohms
2. SC-1522 $1,600 9.2 with 170 watts per channel at 6 ohms and has THX.

Both work with 4 ohms and both have the new class D3 technology.

I do not understand what all this means and don't know what I need.
I know there are many forum post on this conversation and have read many. (I still don't get it)

So my question is... Is it worth $500 extra for the 10 watts of power and THX ?
are either of these AV Receivers even appropriate for quality movie surround sound, PS3 gaming and DUBSTEP Music (yeah i know i may be the first electrostatic owner to blast dubstep ;)

Thanks for reading and your thoughts....

Last edited:
It wouldn't be worth it to me. Look into the Onkyo 818. Its new ,135 w channel. Its got everything under the sun and it has audyssey XT32.. You can get this for under a grand. All those speakers are at diff ohms also. Otherwise do seperates. Get a pre amp and an amp. I'd look into Integra if I was doing that myself. Integra = quality.

Thanks GOAT... I'm kinda stuck on Pioneer because of a $1k credit I have with them (long story). I just want the best sound from this $8k setup (including the AV receiver)

The 1522 will probably have a couple more features,but the 1222 should be good if you don't want to spend any more money.. Why aren't you looking at the Elite line?

I have never enjoyed the older elite pioneer's with the logans but let yourself decide as these new ones maybe less bright. If you ask me the speakers you have really need a power amp for those low dips in ohm's. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy a three ch amp for them front and leave the receiver to do surround duty. So my advice would be to put that extra $500 towards a nice used amp and really reap the benefits of what your new wonderful speakers have to offer you

If you like yourself some dubstep then skip the amp and put the money towards a tube integrated and get the floors banging out the full range sound. When I put my integrated tube amp on I can listen for hours without it hurting my ears, I have never been able to do this with my solid state setup. Here is as link for some cheap awesome tube setups. The bass these things put out really makes you think your listening to a different speaker and the difference is night and day compared to my high end HT preamp with an average amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MC-13...ers_Preamps&hash=item1e6e65d922#ht_2698wt_838

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MC-10...ers_Preamps&hash=item1e6e95c304#ht_2820wt_838

Last edited:
Projector,he has a credit at pioneer,so he has to use 1k there.. Those are nice looking amp but kind of short on power aren't they?

I guess i am in over my head here... I went to BestBuy for the best surround sound they sell... and then I heard the ML.... WOW I WAS HOOKED!!! How could I purchase anything else!!??!! So I went online and did a little research... I figured I need the Motif to properly compliment the ESL's. I also would need the Dynamo 1000 for the lows. And then a nice top-of-the-line Pioneer and I am good to go. I just wanted a TOP-OF-THE-LINE system for my bedroom (my wife just chuckles at me and my boys cant wait to play the PS3)

I did look at the newest ELITE line from pioneer, however the new CS-61 or CS-65 are not shipping till mid August and i want it now ;)
The Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 sub-woofer is powered, and I thought it would be awesome in my 18X25 bedroom. I am such a newbie to this fetish that i don't even know what a pre-amp is or how to wire it. Funny thing is I own a Nightclub in Atlantic City NJ (ROLEPLAY) with over $40k in JBL PRO speakers and 4 rack mounted amps to power it all. but that is a completely different ball game.

Thanks Again for your thoughts.....
Jason

Last edited:
I have been really enjoying the ML Vantage with the Marantz SR7005 reciever. Plenty of punch and sounds good enough to me for living room theater. But I am also not looking for an amazing HT setup right now nor amazing 2 ch listening with this setup. I have had folks over who always say damn! It sounds like things are coming out of the corners and sides of the room and there are no speakers there. It all comes down to what you want, and if a really good HT processor or seperates arent in your budget then try to get the best you can right now and yes power matters. plan for an upgrade sooner than later.

I have the Electomotion ESL's,the EM C2 center which would be more than fine instead of spending $1800 on a center. You can get a lot better sub from SVS,Epik,Rythmik,HSU..

There are some very affordable used power amps out there. I'd recommend that you not spend any more than that $1k pioneer credit on a receiver. Call me crazy or broke but I'm using a Yamaha rxv1900 to power my Spires and every time I listen to them, I know I can get so much more from them with an external amp.

So basically I am getting that, it is a great system that i will tweak as my ears grow. and there is no perfect system. i can deal with that.
Thanks guys... ill post pics once its set up.

Back