Equipment you would not own because of looks alone

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
Because of the other raging thread on equipment looks (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9432), I thought we should compile a list of equipment you would not own because of looks alone. Here is a start - I'm sure I'll add to it as I think about it - I'll probably get ideas at 3am!

[DISCLAIMER] - No offence intended - this is purely personal...

Garrard turntables
Wilson speakers
Pass amplifiers
Rotel amplifiers

Venturing into dangerous waters here...

Most speakers, really. If I deemed my other gear sufficiently unattractive, I'd find a way to hide it away. Speakers are generally extremely unattractive if only because they are so large and imposing and typically have to be in the open. The list of speakers I wouldn't own includes many high quality electrostats like most older ML speakers (including but not limited to Sequel, Prodigy, Odyssey, Ascent, Quest, reQuest, and Monolith), as well as Sanders 10b.

Because of the other raging thread on equipment looks (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9432), I thought we should compile a list of equipment you would not own because of looks alone. Here is a start - I'm sure I'll add to it as I think about it - I'll probably get ideas at 3am!

[DISCLAIMER] - No offence intended - this is purely personal...

Garrard turntables
Wilson speakers
Pass amplifiers
Rotel amplifiers

Pass amps? For SS amps, dull to look at as most are, they are works of art...

Pass Labs......older model Logans.......man these are on my list of "must haves".......

Linn stuff to me is pretty unattractive....

Pass amps? For SS amps, dull to look at as most are, they are works of art...

Agreed 100%, saying you don't like their looks (Ok, thats your subjective opinion), but their sonic merits far outweigh ANY 'eyestrain' what-so-ever, IMO and for the majority of the audio world I'm willing to bet !

bottlehead preamp. In fact I did own a early version. The open bottom, cheap stamped metal top, and dual volume controls just left a lot to be desired. It did sound ok.

Im also on the shelf about my "Stacked quads" (see other thread). They are just HUGE.

On the other hand. I think my re-quests just look awesome.

The Macintosh turntable.

+2 on that one. I'm guessing they designed it with only the current Mac owners in mind. It is fugly!

I don't care for how Magnepans look, either. Just too plain. Haven't heard them yet, though, so I can't say I would not buy a pair.

clearaudio statement TT most of their stuff is pretty nasty
yes I am with you guys the McIntosh TT is really bad looking
the wilson speakers especially the wilson alexandria
any of the B&W speaker line
Theta equipment
those ceramic speaker lifters or wood (even worse)that some of you use.
not a big fan of the new look of Krell not a huge fan of the old look either but its better than some of the newer stuff at least the old had some personality.
sanders amps and gear. I do like the look of his speakers mostly the flat panels with the square sections those look cool but his amps and stuff are yuk.
the Sunfire equipment is also not to my taste those bronze or orange dials are just nasty!

there are others but these are the ones that really irritate me

just remember though looks are not everything some of the nicer looking gear I have heard did not always sound the that great to me.

Last edited:
Anything Macintosh ! Having said that it can look like a turd as long as it jams!:rocker:

Current Krell power amps (the Evolution series). I mean, what's a Krell without grab handles on the front?!

would you even know what to do with such a simple and primitive piece of equipment such as a TT JonFo???

I might, just might remember how things were 20 years ago, when I actually had a TT :p

But if I had a TT today, you know it would the most complex mechanical / computer hybrid thing on the market and that I'd immediately mod it, making it an instant candidate for this thread ;)

Attachments

• lt1.jpg
    lt1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Back