Emotiva UMC-1 processor Vs. High end processor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
I know this is probably an obvious answer, but I am asking it anyway...
Emotiva is getting ready to release (possibly by year's end) their new processor that is loaded with all the latest and greatest codecs, hdmi switching and upconversion, all the bells and whistles... for the bargain price of $699.

I am actually on the waiting list since about a year, and am leaning more towards the higher end processors now rather than a cheap, made in China piece of equipment...

my question is, when you compare something like this to the new Krell surround processor or Mcintosh, what exactly are you getting with the good, expensive stuff that the decent, ridiculously cheap stuff is leaving out?

thanks!

I ansered my own question and ordered the Krell unit. Done deal. Full report to follow when I get it!

so gordon - what was the answer? I am not a movie-aholic and have found that I prefer a 2 channel pre for my music - which is where all of my critical listening occurs. So, an expensive 2 channel pre plus a very affordable processor option for movies might be appealing to some - if not most on the forum.

I have a Sunfire processor for movies as well - and I moved from a Yamaha receiver. Nice big difference there for movies. I have wondered about the emotiva for my situation - if I wanted to get the latest codecs etc....and if it was parallel to the sunfire pre - it would be a no-brainer.

Same thing with their amps - they are very modular - and I wonder, again, since movies are not critical for me - if an emotiva combo for movies would be a great deal and a way to get seperates for basically reciever money...

It would be nice to hear from anyone that has actually compared the emotiva to another nice product... just so people could get a better idea how these compared relative to something else.

Ijust replaced an adcom 555 with an emotiva xpa2 amplifier. I hear way better
bass and a more detailed sound.
greg

Ijust replaced an adcom 555 with an emotiva xpa2 amplifier. I hear way better
bass and a more detailed sound.
greg

I bought one of their smaller 2 channel amps a few months ago when they had a sale on them... I am using if for rear channel duty, as I am Bi-amping the left and right channel of my Sunfire Cinema Grand and using the other channel for the center with great results. So far the Emotiva amp sounds pretty good for rear surround duty.

Back