Emotiva Processor UMC-1

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shub

Reaction score
Anybody check out the specs for the new Emotiva UMC-1? It's been in "on its way"...eehhhm for a while now - I think the last time I checked on it was January of this year. Well finally I checked their site yesterday and it looks like they may actually sell some of these before Christmas (although I am not holding my breath!)

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

I currently use a Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver for preamp duty with a tube amp for my Vista's. Although the Yamaha is decent (maybe mid-range as far as AVR's go) I would like to get a little closer to separates than I am now. I thought Emotiva's new UMC-1 might fit the bill nicely. Since I have a HT setup, going with a more traditional pre-amp is really not going to fit the bill. I would probably also get one of their 3-channel amps to takeover surround duty that the Yamaha is currently providing....

Plus - it doesn't hurt that this piece of equipment is very nicely priced ($699) -- I haven't really looked, but I can't imagine that there is even an option of finding a decent pre-amp/processor under $1K! Of course I could be wrong...

Before DVD's came out my setup was always separates (Adcom) which I still have to this day in a two channel system in my bedroom...

From looking at the web page for this unit, it does look intriguing and sounds like they have some nice chipsets going here (could be just the marketing lingo :ROFL:) From looking around at various other gear, I have seen a good deal of stuff using the Cirrus chips lately so thought this might be a good sign - here is a snipet from their site:

Previews at industry events have turned more than a few heads, and it has been featured in the Dolby Laboratories display at the 2009 CES.

The UMC-1 uses twin Cirrus® 32 bit dual core DSP’s for un compromised high resolution HD audio decoding and signal management.

Video processing is managed by the Genesis/ST® Torino high performance scaling engine. HDMI signal management is controlled by the latest generation Silicon Image and Analog Devices components.

Kinda looking for some opinions on this vendor/eqipment. I know that is pretty hard since nobody actually has one yet ;) but maybe just from a hardware/decoder perspective (Cirrus/Torino)

or...

If anyone has recommendations on a different processor - please keep in mind that I am on the lower priced end of the spectrum here so please don't tell me about the latest $10,000 processor from Krell (which is :drool: BTW) because I still haven't found a way to sell my kidneys on eBay yet!! Just looking for a reasonable upgrade that will get me a little step away from AVR world and hopefully a slight bump in overall quality :)

Thanks!
Bjarni

no personal experience, but their competion seems to be the Outlaw brand. they use the same marketing model which puts them at the same price point on average. they also use much the same electronics too, and they seem to get rave reviews also. you might want to look at the Outlaw catalog before you commit. im am very happy with mine.

Lots of chatter on the comps of the 2 on the Outlaw forum also.

Well, I'll give you an opinion, but please understand that it is just that.

I wrote a review of the Emotiva room in my coverage of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. The room was set up for two channel only and featured their pre-amp, 4 monoblocks and their own speakers. I was really impressed with the build quality for what these components retail for - frankly I don't know how they can sell them for what they charge. They must have an amazing supply chain or very little margin (or both).

As far as sound quality though, I was very unimpressed. Now understand the context though, I can't recall now what I listened to immediatly before or after the Emotiva stuff, but compared to many if not most of the other rooms, I was not at all engaged with the music. Could be the speakers, or the room etc. To be fair I think you would have to hear the piece you're describing in the context of your system, and since they are directly marketed they may have some sort of money back program.

Here's a thought, I don't know what your primary focus is (music or movies - for me it is most definitely MUSIC). Why not buy a good used tubed pre-amp with home theater pass through (there are many that have this feature these days), as well as the Emotiva processor. Then you can have the superior sonics of the dedicated pre-amp for music and use the Emotiva for decoding all of your movies?

Last edited:
FWIW, I also concur with Tim, for Wayne (TheWB) and I were in the same room and thought the sound was 'non-discript', my guess is it was more a function of what I perceive to be their lack luster speakers.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I agree it probably makes sense to evaluate the equipment within the context of my own system - especially since they were using their own speakers - I do think they have a 30 day return policy if not satisfied so it might just mean I have to try them out ;)

The HT bypass/pass through is a good thought as well - hadn't considered that!!

Bjarni

I currently have an MMC-1 (processor) and an ISP-1 (7 channel amp). I absolutely love the build quality on these products. I have been impressed by them since I took them out of the box. The amp is less than what I need for my Martin Logan Monoliths. Currently I am seeking a 2 channel amp to run the Monoliths with and Emotiva's monoblocks are in the running.

As a processor the MMC-1 trumped anything under $3000 when I bought it 3 years ago. Now with the new sound formats and various versions of HDMI it is a bit behind the times.

I think the UMC-1 will be a great step up in sound and picture quality for less money.

Last edited:
As a processor the MMC-1 trumped anything under $3000 when I bought it 3 years ago. Sow with the new sound formats and various versions of HDMI it is a bit behind the times.

What were the processors that you used/listened to compare it with?

What were the processors that you used/listened to compare it with?

Sorry, haven't checked this thread for a while.

When I first listened to the Emotiva I was still in receiver mode. I have owned a Denon, Marantz, and Pioneer Elite.

While listening/ shopping I tried at least a dozen brands including Arcam, Lexicon, Krell, B&K of varying levels of quality and price. I can say that the Emotiva could run with the best of all of these units.

I never got to compare it to Anthem, Cary, or other similar (more expensive) units. However I have listened to real great set-ups and still love my Emotiva.

i was on the pre order list what seems like almost going on 2 years ago now. Emotiva has made promise after promise to finally bring this processor to market to point of getting really ridiculous...(look at the Emotiva forums). The have had about 6 projected shipping dates already all which they could not make happen.

Long story short, I got fed up with getting the run around and only hearing "we are working on it and it will be released soon" etc, and I decided to do a 180 and jump ship... I ended up getting a great deal on the new KRELL s1200U and never looked back! Review to tollow when I get around to it! I have had it for about 3 months now - what an amazing piece of equipment! Sound is absoutely superb and video board is jawdropping!
I had bought a little 2 channel Emotiva amp for my rear channels, but thought the amp looked low fi and felt cheaply made (well for $300 I guess what can you expect!). It sounds fairly decent though. I think the UMC-1 looks very cheap with that shiny, plastic silver knob and with most things I usually think you get what you pay for. I think in the long term i am happier buying something of high quality than constantly having to think "what if I would have just bought that Krell unit... how much better _____ ?etc..."
For them to sell this unit for $699 and still make money on it, you know they can only use cheap inferior components to meet that price point. Just my $.03 thought...

Latest posts

Back